Staff infection: friend has it, should i put my son on antibiotics?

My good friend thinks she may have a staff infection, and of course, she decided to tell me about this during thanks giving dinner yesterday after holding my son for hours before hand. Not only does it give me the heeby jeebies to think about, i'm worried my 10 month old may have caught it. I dont know the symptoms, i dont know what it does to babies, if they can catch it... what will happen if he does catch it etc. Should i take him to his ped and ask for antibiotics as a preventative measure? If anyone knows anything about staff please give me some info!

Aidensmommy111

Asked by Aidensmommy111 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Health

• no preventive antiobiotics would not be a good idea. What I would do if I were you is call your nurse or ped. Tell them what happened, ask about signs to watch for. But really I think he will be fine. Call though and get that reassurence.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Preventative Antibiotics is a bad idea, and its likely that your doctor would not prescribe them.

Like the first poster said, call the doctor and ask what signs to watch for.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• You would pump your son full of meds that you're unsure he even needs? I would call the doctor first. Unless he has an open wound someplace and she touched it, I think it's unlikely he'll get sick.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Quoting reneek3
    You would pump your son full of meds that you're unsure he even needs? I would call the doctor first. Unless he has an open wound someplace and she touched it, I think it's unlikely he'll get sick

My response:
    No no no no... I would not just give my son medicine (especially antibiotics, how would i get them with the correct dosage anyway?) without consulting my doctor, the child doesnt even get tylenol hardly.
    I'm asking if i should take him to the doctor even if he's not showing any signs of sickness, because i dont even know what to look for. My mother gets on antibiotics herself everytime she is exposed to strep throat because if she were to catch it, it complicates her heart problems and she can die.
    so not knowing ANYTHING about staff... i just thought maybe the antibiotics would prevent him from getting a sickness that can kill him. (thats all i've heard about staff is that people can die)
    Aidensmommy111

Answer by Aidensmommy111 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Unless your friend had on open wound and so did your son he should be fine but I would call the pediatrician or nurse just to make sure
    KallaLilli

Answer by KallaLilli at 5:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• A staff infection looks like a pimple full of puss. Popping it will make it spread. Staff infections are spread by the bacteria coming in contact with an opening in the skin - a scratch or a cut. Wash all your linens that your friend may have come in contact with - wash clothes, napkins, towels etc.
    Not all antibiotics are effective against staff infections. Sometimes the Dr has to do a culture to know what germ has caused the infection.
    What makes your friend think she has a staff infection?
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• well, she has had staff infections before. She said a week ago she woke up one morning and her face looked like she got hit by a baseball bat. She went to urgent care and they popped what they thought was a cyst and drained it, and put her on antibiotics. when i saw her yesterday, the spot in question just looked like a huge zit that she popped too many times... with a scab about the size of a pea. she said it hurts when it is touched. (i did not appreciate that she didnt tell me until after she handled my son, i thought it was just a pimple)
    Aidensmommy111

Answer by Aidensmommy111 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• As long as your son didn't touch her face he's probably safe.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Just ask your advice nurse at the clinic. I don't like the idea of it on her face, what little one doesn't mess with your face when you play with them? I had staff but as a result of back surgery. My roommate had it which was different than mine. she got hers from a friend helping to change her bandage. I am sure all will be well.

Tracy O.  decafsis

decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 10:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2008