Would you make your child 'perform' with a group (at church, school, etc.) if he didn't want to?

..y'know, for something like choir, or a school play?

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 7:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, that breeds the worst kind of resentment.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 7:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If he signed up for it, I would make him finish what he started. If he never wanted to though, no way!
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Nope. There is no quicker way to discourage a child from participating in group activities later.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If my son starts something he is forced to finish it. He begged and begged for t-bal at 3, so we signed him up and then he hated it. But I made him continue to the end, because I don't believe in quitting. At 4 it was basketball and again, he hated it but finished. Now at 5 he chose tap dance and loves it, so I'm glad we found something he enjoys. He wants to try soccer in the fall, and I'll hold the same philosophy. But if I ask "do you want to do..." and he says no, I honor that. I don't see the point in paying for an activity he has openly declared he doesn't want to be involved in. The same would apply to school choirs or plays. If he starts it he's finishing it, but if he has no interest I'm not forcing him into it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If its not part of the studies,than no
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Oh Lord no. I could just imagine what that would look like...lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• that's my thinking, But Mommie. i hated it, and dh says, ''i had to!''. (wth? men..)
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Nope. My son actually developed a stutter because I would "encourage" (too strongly I guess) him to at the very least say hi to strangers when the spoke to him.

My SIL also developed a stutter when she was a child when my FIL forced her to sing for rooms of people.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011