How many hours of sleep should my 4 year old get?

My DD is the grumpiest child in the morning, except on weekends when I let her sleep in. On those days, she'll sleep for 13 or more hours and wakes up in a great mood. It would be impossible to let her sleep that long during the week.

camiam81

Asked by camiam81 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 10-12

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Yeah, mine were getting about 12 hours at that age.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• 10 to 13 hours. My 4 year old takes a 1 and half hour nap and sleeps 10 and half to 11 hours at night. Some kids just need more rest.
    Why is it impossible for yours to get 13 hours during the week?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with the 10-12
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 7:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I also agree with the 10-12. However, every child is different and what's recommended is not always what's needed. My son can get 14 hours of sleep but if you wake him up before 8am he's grouchy. On the same note if he only gets 8 hours of sleep, but wakes up on his own (typically between 9-10) he's as happy as can be. So for him it's not the numerical amount that determines his mood, it's the atmosphere he wakes up in. If it's a non-school day and he can wake up on his own, and move a little slower, he's good. If he has school and mommy has to wake him up it doesn't matter how many hours he's been asleep prior I'm awakening the demon inside lol. I take the approach bedtime is 8pm, when he falls asleep is his choice, I'm not fighting for a specific number. I just follow the same bedtime routine and wing it from there number wise. We supplement with naps when obviously needed and it works for him.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Both my 4 yo and 6 yo get at least 10 hours.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2011