How can I stop our cat from peeing everywhere?

This has gone beyond just the occasional accident. He is marking the entire house. He was supposed to be neutered before we got him (he was a rescue). We have a new baby and a toddler and he is making it impossible for us to keep the house clean. I don't want to get rid of him, but I also don't want to keep exposing my kids to his urine marking. His litter box is clean and as far as I know he is not sick.

photojmamma

Asked by photojmamma at 2:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pets

• Have you taken him into the vet to rule out infection? The cat won't "look sick". My male cat is neutered and was peeing in our basement for months. I tried ruling out everything at home I could before giving in and taking him to the vet. Found out, he had a bladder infection...blood in his urine. I felt SO BAD for him. I had been so short tempered with him and it wasn't his fault.

Take the cat to the vet!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• yeah.. vet time.

Anonymous

• I am a volunteer at a Cat shelter in my area and first and foremost you need to take him to the vet and have him checked for UTI, Bladder infection, and what not. If everything comes out fine I would recommend putting him and his belongings in a bathroom or laundry room for a few days or how ever long it will take for him to realize the litter box is his bathroom. The shelter i am involved with deal with stray and feral cats only. And in most cases these cats dont know how to use a little pan. This is the technique that we use and in works. One thing you need to remember is to spend time in their and make sure he is comfy. good luck
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 8:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2008