How many religions have you explored? or do you stick with what your parents taught you?

I was taught to be a southern baptist. I am now a Buddhist (to my mothers dismay). I am very open to my kids learning all they can and choosing the one they feel is right. How about you? Also how would you feel if your child differed from your own beliefs?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I was raised by a Catholic Mom while my Dad was Protestant. I am spiritual and would also lean toward Buddhism. I hope my kids choose whatever calls them. That's what happened to me.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• sad t say but i have not explored any religion outside of my own
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i can't say how i'd feel. i can speculate that it'd upset me for him to go to an extremely different belief.
    i am the same as my parents because i have chosen to follow this religion.
    never desired to explore any others, on a personal level. for education and general knowledge purposes..maybe 5 others.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I was raised Lutheran. Never exposed to other religions.
    I've taken World religions classes to explore other ideas. I've studied Buddhism and Paganism.

I am not an atheist. Although I am very spiritual.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I wasn't raised any which way. My parents believed in God but that was the extent of it. I am a research junkie so when I decided it was time to find my own path, I looked into a few different paths. Christianity is what I chose. I will always stick to Christianity now, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in learning about other faiths.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• When i was 10 I choose to be baptized non-denominational. I believe that when youlisten to serman or whatever you take what you need from it. My husband is Catholic and my mother fundamental Baptist. I will teach DS to be tolerant and that even though you may not believe everything and everyones religion pay attention because they all offer good lessons.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I was raised in a fundie home knowing from a very early age that I did not share their beliefs. I am (and for all intents and purposes always was) an Atheist.
    Explore? No, not in the sense of practicing the religion. Learn as much about as I possibly could? Yep. Still do, it helps me understand people's quirks.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If you haven't explored, (for fun anyway), why not?
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have explored many religions, I was Greek Orthodox by birth, have been Hindu by choice since age 14. I own Religious Debate here on CM so I get lots of new views on religion
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 7:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I was raised Christian, but always encouraged to cultivate my own beliefs. We were taught to respect the beliefs of others, not that they're "wrong", so I was able to objectively study and understand the other faiths, and through my study of each I've seen common underlying themes and messages, felt a connection to the Divine, and found things/beliefs that resonate with me and that I incorporate into my own faith. I consider myself a Christian Universalist now, because while I've always believed that salvation wasn't limited to Christians, I've come to reject the idea that salvation is even necessary, and that believe that all faiths are equally valid paths to the same End, and its up to us to determine which is best for our own personal journey and growth. I plan on educating my son on his options and letting him choose for himself.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011