Have you ever lost your temper?

I just did a horrible thing. I was leaning in to kiss my 2 year old good night, he raised his head up real fast and hit me on the mouth. It hurt like hell. Then he started laughing at me hurting, and I open hand smacked him on the side of his head, kinda hard. My mouth hurt so bad that I just reacted without thinking. He started to cry, and so did I. I told him i was sorry, but I feel like the worst mom ever. I can't believe I snapped like that. Has anyone else done something they regretted, and how did you stop beating yourself up for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Time.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No I havent yet
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 7:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Oh gosh yes. My sister and I had this conversation because we reacted exactly like you and felt awful. It was a knee jerk reaction. I have never done it again and also felt badly. All you can do is learn from it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I can understand reflex, but darn mom this is a 2 year old........this is hitting a child out of anger,I have never done this so I can't help you there, but I have no doubt that you regretted it the minute it happened, but if this happens again ask for help.

Answer by older at 7:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have done that.... it's a knee jerk reaction- I'm sure every mom out there has done that at one time or another. It's not that we set out to hurt our kids its just that when we are "attacked" we strike back. Don't let it get to you but don't let it become a habbit.
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 7:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think it happens to all of us at one point or another, whether we want to admit it online or not. No one is perfect, and in 18 years of parenting I fully believe every single parent has either yelled something they've regretted immediately, or swatted too hard out of pain instinct, and then immediately regretted. Once a couple years ago my son was incredibly grouchy, and had been mouthy all day. I'd finally had enough, and I meant to tap his cheek to say enough, and get his attention. But I got his ear, and it left a red mark for the night. He cried, and I sat him down and said although mommy was very wrong for hitting his ear, how he was talking to me was equally wrong. But I apologized and said even mommies make mistakes, but I still loved him. I remember the event 2 years later, he does not. He doesn't feel abused or neglected in any way. We all make mistakes, just acknowledge them and learn, it's part of parenting :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I understand that we all have a reflex to things like that, but, please consider talking to a professional. Hitting our children is not the answer, you don't want this to happen again. I have found that any behavior can become a habit. This is one thing that needs to be seriously addressed before it could come to that.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

•   You didn't have a "knee jerk" reaction.  You got pissed off because your child was laughing, there was a thought process there.  A "knee jerk" reaction, there is no thought process, it's just reaction.  I have had the knee jerk reaction with all of mine the first time each one bit me.  I'm sorry to be the bitch, but it wasn't an "accident".  You made the decision to hit your baby and now you have to deal with it.  Stop beating yourself up over it?  Sorry, not my advice.  And lets be honest, I seriously doubt this is the first time.  If you don't do something about it, I doubt it will be the last.  Anger management, parent classes, etc.  There is a ton of help out there. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I didn't do exactly that kind of thing, but once, I thought the cat was scratching me on the back of my leg so I swatted thinking I wouldn't even hit her, and it was my 2 year old pinching me, and I hit him right on the cheek! It was just my fingertips, and it was light but it scared him. Of course I grabbed him up and he thought me fussing over him was funny, and I'm sure he doesn't even remember it, but boy did I feel bad!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well thank you to those who cared and were not out to make me feel like a child abuser. No this has never happened before, and no I do not have anger problems. I agree it does not have to happen again, and I realize this. Thank you to those who admitted to having a moment like this and easing my anger at myself.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2011