Do you think waging war in the Middle East is a productive weapon against Terrorism?

Given that terrorism is an ideology. An almost abstract entity. How can killing civilians in these countries do anything but exacerbate this situation?

Wouldn't a more effective approach be to bring these leaders to justice?  Show that we can break these groups up?  You can't show how not to be a terrorist by killing and further marginalizing the poor and helpless of a country at risk. 

I realize that this is a day late and a dollar short, but it appears to me that we just aren't learning the lessons we need to with this issue.

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 7:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Let's review the HOPE campaign...

Anonymous

• It's NOT about terrorism, It's all about OIL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

>>>>>>
    Do you think it's about the oil itself, or control over it?
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I guess I'm one of the few Americans who would rather the fighting be in the Middle East as opposed to our neighborhoods. But different strokes for different folks, I guess! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• But Lorikeet, don't you believe that a terrorist attack can be mounted from anywhere?
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

***
    Of course, as evidenced by 9/11. But to bring a nuclear/dirty bomb war to American soil would have far worse repercussions than fighting it out on the terrorists "home court" in the middle of no where/the desert. The Middle Eastern terrorists are the ones who wish to start the conflict, I say stop them at their own game, in THEIR respective countries.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Do you have think that there is a mixed message in that?

Do you think that it's difficult to win hearts and minds when we out of one side of our collective face we talk about freedom and democracy and then out of the other we support corrupt regimes like Karzai's or the Saudi's?
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Control vs procurement of natural resources= 6 or one half dozen of the other...They have it, we use more than any other nation and obviously have a need. They need top dollar for this resource and we need to get it for the least amount possible. A power struggle over a commodity that we must have to fuel our economy-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You cannot isolate these groups when they are hiding among the civlian population. It does not good to chop 1 head off a dragon with 5 of them.

I am for a bold and no nonsense approach...a couple of glass parking lots in the right locations would work miracles. But, alas that is considered horrible..and perhaps even uncivilized.

I'm with LoriKeet though...I choose their backyard over mine.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I am for a bold and no nonsense approach...a couple of glass parking lots in the right locations would work miracles. But, alas that is considered horrible..and perhaps even uncivilized.

And so are the terrorists, and that's the problem. I refuse to become them-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011