Stuck in this trap...

Here's the situation, I'm a single Mom with three kids. My home is partically funded by a government agency, that helps rural home developments. My kids are also, on CHIPS ( a Texas kids insuracne, a step above Medicaid). My ex husband has left the state of Texas and is not paying child support. The state says they cannot find him and I have not heard from him in over a year.

I work full time and can pay all of the critical bills such as home pmt, elect, etc. NOW, if I'm stuggling to put food on the table with prices going up at the grocery stores. And of course all the little extra's such as Cub Scouts, Soccer, etc.

Here is my delemia - If I get another part time job to help cover expenses _ guess what, I have more income, more income means my house payment goes up and I could loose my kids CHIP insurance. So, I gain nothing. My 17 yr daugter wants to get a part time job after school to help pay for drivers ed, save for possabily going to a secondary school after graduation and to maybe buy herself a cheap used car. OH BUT, if she gets a job - Guess What - that's also, more income into my household and I'm still treatened with my house payment going up and loosing the kids health insurance.

WHAT DO I DO? It just ticks me off that this same government that makes these rules also says, Oh, we have not real way of tracking dead beat dad's. Why can't employers be required to check into this upon hiring someone? They do criminal background check and personal references.

I've very upset that this is a way to keep the poor - poor. What else am I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• gawh that's a tough one; the government makes it difficult. hope someone comes along that can help you!
    melly_v88

Answer by melly_v88 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I was in your same situation for several years. The assistance office actually TOLD me to stop working all together and I could get lots more assistance.... I walked out of there and never went back! LOL! Isn't that awful to say??? Can your daughter take a position which pays in cash... like babysitting, lawn mowing or helping out on a farm???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• A dilema you can well do without! It's tough enough raising your children alone without having this over you. There is an excellent book by Robert Keyosaki called Cashflow Quadrant.... see if you can get it from the library. sometimes looking at things in a different way opens the door to change... just a thought... good luck :-)
    dabsbeauty

Answer by dabsbeauty at 6:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• can u get food stamps?
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• GOOOO to GOD cause look like u can't win for lose
    benitaapplebomb

Answer by benitaapplebomb at 8:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• When i was in that situation I filed for every type of assistance I could and finally one of the agencies decided it was really time to find DAD. It is a tough situation to be in. Best of luck and know there is light at the end of the tunnel
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I make to much to recieve food stamps. It just ticks me off that when i do have information about my ex - they AG office says they can't call his family, it's his privicy, ect.. Yet, bill collectors call my parents home. I just don't understand how bill collectors can track down people yet we can't find parents who don't pay child support. If he owed the IRS, they'd find him! we have 101 cops shows on tv tacking down criminal = yet the guy who owes 32,000 in back support can just go about living his life. UGH...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• if you were to do something like direct sales (home parties) it's 'self employment' and you make commission. They have no way to track the income from that coming in. It can be a nice income, just part time. There are different types of companies, I am with Brown Bag Party (romance), candles, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, Purses, Jewelry. There are investments with starting these, but most can be minimal. We have a spacial right now until the 11th of April for $99 for a kit that's worth $600. I think Mary Kay is $99, Pampered chef and Tastefully Simple, I believe are both somewhere between $99 and $150. Us and others, also have an 'earn your kit option'. Hope this helps ya out! =)
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011