When Jesus died, did he go to Heaven or Hell?

Scriptures states that Jesus told one of the thieves "Verily I say unto thee, today shalt thou be with me in paradise"?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 8:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• On the third day he was raised up to go to the father. Bible scripture doesn't say that he was in literal hell, but he had to fulfill a prophetic scripture of being raised 3 days later. So he resurrected to save US from the worlds' evil lures, and lies.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• He went BACK to Heaven! As for the theif on the cross, Jesus was saving him. He publicly acknowledged Jesus, and asked Jesus to remember him. THAT is what is meant by that verse. Oh,and very well put coffeeyum. I agree, He had to take the entire sins of the world upon Himself in order to save us. And, since God cannot look upon sin, He had to turn His back at that moment,and it probably felt to Jesus like it was hell. I know when I feel distant from God, it feels like hell to me, until I pray, and bring myself back close to Him.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• One theory is that he stayed in the nether regions for 3 days and he brought back all those who died before his coming to heaven
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• He went to Heaven to be with the Father.He went to prepare a house for His children - or so the bible says if you believe what it says.?

chantilly688

Answer by chantilly688 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Good question. In the verse you quoted, He used the word "today", but we know that He was entombed for 3 days. In 1Peter 3:18,19 it says "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison." Some believe that Christ went to Hades to proclaim is victoy and final condemnation to the fallen angels imprisoned there since Noah's day. Others believe that between his death and resurrection, he announced salvation to God's faithful followers who had been waiting for their salvation during the whole OT era.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:40 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Paradise does have a few meanings. Also three days to us is blink of and eye in the afterlife. So he went to the those that were sleeping, waiting for Him took them with Him as he Threw open the Gates of Heaven which were shut after the fall of man. So yes He did both.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• From my understanding of what I was taught, both. First to hell then to heaven then back to earth.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2011