Hearing Loss in Infants

Recently (yesterday) We took my Edwin for his follow-up hearing exam after he failed his testing at birth.

They told us that he had mild hearing loss in his right ear, and moderate to severe loss in his left. It is most likely fluid or waxy build-up, but with the left being so much worse than the right I'm a bit concerned as to if there is an underlying physical cause such as problems with ear structure, etc. They also said he had no membrane movement of the left, even at louder sounds. His hearing is muffled on both and can only hear high pitched sounds from his left at very high volumes.

Have any of you had to do a follow-up or found out news similar to this? What did you think/do? Edwin is 2 months old now, if that helps.

EdwinsMommy

Asked by EdwinsMommy at 8:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sorry, this must be hard. I reallly dont know, but im gonna bump you, if that can help... Good luck
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 8:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thank you :)
    EdwinsMommy

Comment by EdwinsMommy (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We had to go back for a follow up, but DD is good. The Dr. said they do best when they're asleep, and they actually prefer them to be sleeping durng the test. But I'm sorry I don't have much else for you, hopefully it was just a false test result :) Imma bump you too, gl momma
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• How do they test at that age? They had my 2 year old do a hearing test but i thought it pointless as there was light and movement with the noise each time.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Basically they had me get him to sleep. Then they stick electrode pads on his forehead, and one behind each ear. Then, they stick these tiny 'earbuds' into his ears. They transmit a clicking sound at different volumes and pitches into each side. They then measure the brain response to the clicks rather than physical.
    EdwinsMommy

Comment by EdwinsMommy (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Another test was testing the actual bones behind his left ear for movement. They used clicks again, only had a small black vibrating sensor to measure....he got no response whatsoever. No bone movement.
    EdwinsMommy

Comment by EdwinsMommy (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• They're not recording peoples reactions to light and movements, they're recording reactions to sounds, internal eye movements that occur when we hear something. So that's how they're able to test infants. They also study the way the actual ear reacts to sound, certain parts of the ear should vibrate and they can measure that. Lastly they record the brain waves that occur when we hear a noise. So whether it's at birth or 98 years of age they can tell whether someone can hear or not and at what decibel and the test are typically pretty accurate. However the hearing tests that occur in actual hearing loss institutes are very different then those performed in elementary schools, and are much more high-tech.
    I haven't had any personal experience with hearing loss in my own child, but I do work with/have taught in deaf education. There's lots of education and medical advancements in the field so I'm sure your ds is in good hands :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thank you :) I'm sure he'll be fine, but it's so easy to get anxious when something with your child is not quite right.
    EdwinsMommy

Comment by EdwinsMommy (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• the first chiropractic adjustment made a deaf man hear again. i am not sure what the problem is with your baby, but don't forget that there could be more options than what a medical professional may suggest. keep an open mind, and stay strong!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• if it is just fluid and infection insist on tubes dont take no for an answer. my youngest almost 3 is hard of hearing he has major infections that are not being effected by antibiotics. he also has tubes and is still hard of hearing but we have issues going on with the tubes also he needs another set. also check into the adnoids and tonsils. I am not sure what my babysitter is doing but she is having an profound effect on his speech. he was very limited and since he started with her it has gone up majorly. she has a liscense to work with disabled kids. i am going to ask her what she is doing and find out what I am not doing. Get to an ent asap. I have tried chiropractor but no signifigant diffrence.
    opinionatedmom

Answer by opinionatedmom at 2:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011