Could food dyes cause ADD/ADHD?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471904576228550619608050.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Food

A Food and Drug Administration panel plans to meet this week to consider the potential link between hyperactivity in children and artificial dyes found in common foods such as candy, waffles and salad dressing.

The FDA is reconsidering its long-held position that the dyes pose no risk to children or anyone else. Artificial food dyes with names like Yellow 5 have long been targeted by some scientists and consumer advocates concerned that they could cause hyperactivity in children.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 8:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• I think that allergic reactions to some dyes can cause behaviors that would be similar to ADD/ADHD. I have long known that red dyes make me a bit hyper. However, if I don't ingest the dye, I am fine. I'm still ADD, but I'm not ADHD. I think it can affect people who are sensitive to it, but I do not believe that it is THE cause.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• They aren't the CAUSE, they are however an irritant. For people with ADD/ADHD the dyes can make their symptoms worse. For those who don't have ADD/ADHD there are similar symptoms to those who do suffer with them that are caused by the dyes. Most people who have ADD/ADHD or who care for/live with someone who do, already knew this, it's just taken the FDA a few years (or decades) to catch on.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Not sure if they're the CAUSE, but I have read that they are linked to symptoms. Same for cow's milk.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• LOL! No. They can magnify the symptoms of ADHD/ADD, but not cause it. Are members of the FDA psychiatrists?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2011