Is this a typical christian mindset?

My sister told me last night that I am going to hell because i don't believe in god. Do most Christians believe that no matter how good a person is if they don't believe in god that's it. they are going to hell? It doesn't really bug me because i don't think there is a "hell" but, I was just wondering if this was just my sister or a "typical" christian mindset.

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Most Christians do believe that if you do not believe in the birth, death, and ressurrection of Christ that you will go to hell...no matter how "good" you are.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• really? that's interesting. Does it say that somewhere in the bible or is it just something the "church" says?

momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Wow, that is really too bad that your own sister would say that. Personally, I think that is the biggest failure of organized religion....the members try to exclude those who don't agree or ostracize even their own family. It is very devisive. Its so un-christian to exclude and judge people.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well, I'm not trying to be mean about it, but it does say in the Bible that the only way to go to Heaven is to accept Jesus as your Savior. If you don't believe, I guess that's your right, but, yes, if a person does truly believe in God,and the Bible, then we do know that to be true.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• . Does it say that somewhere in the bible or is it just something the "church" says?

"Then Jesus said 'I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH,and THE LIFE. NO ONE comes to the Father, except through me.'" John, 14:6.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have to disagree with you Renee- although most branches of Christianity have this as one of their teachings- I would say this is one of the topics in which many Christians disagree- kind of like birth control and the Catholic Church- so many Catholics take birth control- does not make them any less Catholic
    I consider myself an American and yet I do not agree with every law or every interpretation of the founding documents- does not make me any less of an American-
    Abortion is legal-would you say the typical American believes abortion is OK-
    Gay Marriage in many states is illegal- would you say the typical Coloradan is anti-gay marriage
    You do not have to subscribe to every tenant of a Faith to be a member of that Faith-
    JMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Many christians believe that, many don't . There is often a notion that to be a Christian you have to subscribe to a rigid , docctrinaire set of old beliefs which I personlly believe is nonsense in this day and age . What matters to me are the ethics and what you can do for your fellow women and men . and for the planet on which we live . To much to do about the varieties of hell on earth to worry about any hell in some old concept of hell under it !!
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Then Jesus said 'I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH,and THE LIFE. NO ONE comes to the Father, except through me.'" John, 14:6.

This says nothing of hell.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• This says nothing of hell.

I agree 100%- I do not buy into the notion of either/or- either you go to heaven or you go to hell-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

This says nothing of hell.

Answer by sahmamax2 a minute ago

Maybe not the way YOU see it, but to someone who reads and trusts in the Bible, it means that the only way to Heaven is by accepting Jesus, said in His own words. And, if one does not go to Heaven, there is only one other alternative, at least to a Christian. I know other religions believe in reincarnation and atheists, mostly believe we just die,and it's over. And,tha'ts fine,that's their right, but to a Christian, you either accept Jesus,and are saved from eternal damnation,and separation from God (which to me, would be hell without ever going anywhere).
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2011