Any ideas for an alternate discipline than spanking. Crime: Wiping boogers on brother.

He's going through his terrible two's late. It seems like I spank him, but it doesn't seem to work.

CaramelFrappe

Asked by CaramelFrappe at 8:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• time out. my 2 year-old HATES it! one minute for every year they are. works like a charm!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Timeout for 2 minutes and set the timer so he knows when the times up. Don't forget to tell him why he is going in time out and to make him say sorry afterwards. My 22month has been saying sorry or at least giving ahug since 18 months. Spanking doesn't work for him either.

PS wiping boogers on your brother is kind of funny at that age :)
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I vote for time out too-

btw- I was reading this while eating my dinner, yuck! :P
    Anonymous

• Thanks, but that doesn't work either. I've even gone to the extreme of taking toys, no cartoons, and sitting in our room for a week. Still doesn't phase him.
    CaramelFrappe

Comment by CaramelFrappe (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I put my daughter (now 3) to bed for the entire rest of the day & through the night. Okay so if its early in the day like before 3pm then its a time out & sometimes sevearl in a row. If its like 3pm though all bets off she goes to bed for the rest of the evening & night. Sevearl times I have had to put her to bed early & boy dosent it get the point across quick to her!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with liamsmom...timeout
    lovinmyboyz4

Answer by lovinmyboyz4 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• time out always work for my son...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• time out.. I have a special time out chair (it's really just their old high chair, lol). I set the timer for 3 mins (she's three). Then after I tell her why, and she either apologizes to me (or the person she did something to) or gets another 3 minutes.
    hitting never works, and only ends up making them more aggressive. (mommy hit me for being bad, so lets hit little sibling when they are bad, or kid at play ground, etc.. bad being anything thing from just getting in their way to liking the same toy, etc).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• it's how YOU do the time outs that make it work. I realized that for the action, IMMEDIATE reaction from parents work. No warning, no yelling, be calm. just do it, say the time and let it ride out. if they wont stay in a time out place, make a room designated for it. like their bedroom. a save but undistracting room. remember no yelling. stay calm. give it a week to start to work and dont budge on the routine.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree on TIMEOUT!!
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2011