All these questions about religon and God have me wondering....

if anyone else has HONESTLY ever had doubts about Jesus being the son of God? I believe he was really a man and that the things he did were most likely true but what if he was just a good person preaching a really good message. And then one day someone said well he must be the son of God himself....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's akin to my belief... I believe Jesus was a wise, enlightened man and much of what he taught resonates with me. I think he was the 'son of God' in the sense that we are ALL 'children of God' (and some non-canonical texts have Jesus calling his disciples 'sons of God' as well, which may put that title in a different light.) I have a lot of respect for what Jesus taught, but don't consider myself a Christian because I don't think that the literal truth of the Jesus story validates or invalidates what he taught. I feel the same way about the Buddha... I think it's impossible to know what about the historical Buddha is fact and what is myth-making, but at the same time I don't think it matters in terms of whether what the men taught holds up or not. I'm not a Biblical literalist (or a literalist of any text)- regardless of whether there is a God, a lot of mere mortals have had a hand in the books!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• thats what I believe. I think it was put upon him to be a "god". I don't believe someone like Jesus would proclaim himself as such....I don't believe any god would proclaim themselves as such. It is too self serving.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Because my faith has grown over time. Reading my Bible, going to church, and praying has shown me a lot. Prophesies from the OT were fulfilled in the NT. There's a lot of reasons.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think the catch with languages is that sometimes there IS no completely accurate translation. My kids are in French immersion- I also speak English and French. Sometimes during her reading homework my daughter will ask me what something means and there isn't always a literal translation into English to give her. I can paraphrase it to make her understand the meaning, but it isn't always a word for word rendition. I see this a lot in Buddhism as well... some Pali or Sanskrit words simply don't translate well into English. A lot of the time, translators just leave them in Pali or Sanskrit because there are no equivalent words-dharma is one of those words, as is karma. The word 'dukkha' is often translated as 'suffering' but I've read varying accounts that this isn't necessarily the best translation either... some think that a better translation would be 'inherently unsatisfying.'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Anon, my personal belief is that it's okay to tell kids: "I don't know for sure. Some people believe this. Some people believe something else. Ultimately we cannot know for sure. What do you think?" Life is ambiguous, it's okay for kids to have some ambiguity. This has worked well with my own kids. They are okay speculating about the afterlife, or religious differences, without having to be given a 'right' answer. It probably helps that there are varying beliefs in our family so they are exposed to different ideas naturally.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I've had doubts in the past. But I don't anymore.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• That's what Jewish people believe
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 9:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You'd have to refer back to the greek or hebrew words to find the origins. Many people do this to make sure they have a good understanding of what the Bible is really saying.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Yeah, I don't believe Jesus (if he existed) was any more or less divine than any of us.

He's no more the Son of God than I am the Daughter of the Goddess.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I am a Christian who does not believe that Jesus is God or even the literal son of God. I believe he was a man like any other, who was more "enlightened" than most, to steal a term, and who represents what we can all be, if we were to strive to it. I believe he is "son of God" in the same way we are all children of God.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011