How do I get my 2-year old to stay in her bed?

I have a 26 month old and recently switched from crib to toddler bed. I didn't think she was ready for it but my husband wanted to try it. She loves the bed but we are having a difficult time getting her to stay in it when it is bed time. We have always read to her and stayed for a little bit and now during that time she is all over the place. Would it be horrible to go back to the crib at this time? I know it would upset her. I have told her that if she can't stay put, she will have to go back to the crib. Thoughts??

kjl23

Asked by kjl23 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You will have to just keep putting her in there until she gets the point. She will eventually get it and then push your buttons on purpose. That's what DS did and he's been in a toddler bed since 15 months.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• we turned off the light, locked her toys up and put a gate on the door. we could get to her in a hurry and she was okay. she fell asleep on the floor a few times but she learned at 25 months my daughter sleeps in the bottom bunk just fine every night
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• well i think that you are doing a good thing to swich to a toddler bed but i think if you stay with her a little longer or wait to she fall asleep then that might work
    juanita31

Answer by juanita31 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No, no, no do not regress. That is only teaching her (and even yourselves) that if it's too hard just give up and take the easy road. There are actually very few toddlers who stay put in their toddler bed from the start. You have to remind them "It's bed time, Jenny, please stay in bed." That's the first time, then every time after that you put them in bed silently. Walk out of the room, and then put them back silently when they get out. They will give in and eventually give up getting out of bed after a couple nights of this. They're testing their bounderies with their new freedom of being able to get out of bed, it's important to teach them the new rules and limitations to this new bed. If you go back to the crib then you're just going to have to reteach these when you switch to a toddler bed later. It's important for her to learn what is expected of her and for her to follow through. Stay strong!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011