Calling all cool ladies what are your tips!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I just moved into my dads apartment building & am now living with 30+ college students (he rents exclusively to the college or family like me). Gosh so far every time I have had to interact with one of them (just in passing) I say something dumb I swear! I am totally not the cool girl in the complex thats for sure haha

How would you feel if you moved into basically a dorm type place!? Of course its not like dorms they are furnished, brand new apartments but its just a bunch of college students so they run in & out of their apartments, friends visit, etc. I feel so out of place! Now my parents & my sister also have apartments in the complex too but they both have their own private outside entrance I have to share a hallway with some of them so I will/am crossing paths with them more often.

Totally said something today that after I said it was like yup I am such an awkward nerd haha maybe I can learn how to be cool, anyone have tips!!!!!!!

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Just for Fun

• You need to feel OK with you, don't try to people please- that is usually where the insecurity come in, confidence and a lack of worrying about others judgement will give you "coolness". I know I used to feel like I had to say something to people, a smile goes a long way. A simple good morning, afternoon or night is always appropriate. Less is more. I remember an old movie and one of the stars was telling someone else why he always seems so cool. He said that he acts like wherever he is at the time is where he is supposed to be. I never quite understood exactly what it meant but I have always remembered it. We all have committees in our head, insecurities, anger, resentments, fears- it is the part of you that you feed which will control you. embrace and love yourself and others will follow. :-) Try to find an old movie called "the peaceful warrior". ( w/ Nick Nolte) I think you will like it.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• nerds are hot too! just be you lol
    Anonymous

• Confidence is key. I always felt odd-man-out in front of my 'cool' hipster friends at the university...we'd hang out and discuss music, but I felt like such a square. However,I was so confident about what I was talking about eventually one friend confided in me that he was a little intimidated by how 'together' and 'cool' I sounded. Fake until you make it is not bad advice.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 9:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Just Be yourself thats all you can do
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 9:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it. I don't talk to many people I don't know, I'm very shy at first and feel awkward too. I tend to keep it to a simple 'hi' and possibly a 'how are you' but that's about it unless they initiate a conversation.
    Mamapunkin21809

Answer by Mamapunkin21809 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• LOL love the nerds is hot comment & fakit it until you make it!

I will find my grove I know that. I've been at this point sevearl times in my life, awkward girl lol Nothing new to me but eh oh well I will find my place!

Today I said something about being the landlords daughter & then I was like they thought or would think that I was playing a card or something you know? I dont want them to all be on pins & needles are act funny around me because who I am but whatever if they do they do. At some point they all move out & we never see them again anyway haha I am the same age as them too 24 but I dont attend college & I have a child so totally not like any of them! I may look into some classes though since its only a couple miles down the road!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• A simple hello, or hi should do. It's not like you know them personally and have to have a conversation with them.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 9:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011