Is doing crunches on a ball as effective as regular crunches?

Also, what is a good amount of crunches to do daily? I'm trying to lose weight and tone at the same time, so have been doing crunches on a ball. I have also been doing some reverse crunches by putting the ball between my feet and lifting my legs up. I did about 20 of those tonight, and 70 crunches.

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 9:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• My trainer says the ball is more effective..
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• The ball is more effective. 100 each would be a good amount daily.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I used to be a crunch junkie!!! But then 11 years ago, I was having back problems, and I had a great stomach from all those crunches, but found out that my core wasn't as strong. So I started doing Pilates. But real Pilates, not some of the watered down stuff that's out there now. It was so effective in even making me lose inches, I was hooked. I went on to get certified to teach classical pilates. If you do what we call the "Series of 5" along with a few other exercises, it's more effective then 200 crunches. After I had my son, it was amazing how fast my stomach was back to normal. I'm pregnant now and still doing as much as I can. Are you able to try Pilates with someone who's certified? I can also recommend some DVDs too if you message me. Crunches aren't bad or anything, but they won't make you lose inches like real Pilates. But if you're going to do them, on the ball is definitely better. Hope this helps:)
    CarlyYoga

Answer by CarlyYoga at 9:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• The ball is MUCH more effective as you need to use a number of muscles in your torso and hips (abs, obliques, latissimus dorsi, hips, gluteus, quads, etc.) for balance and coordination of crunches.

The ball is my favorite exercise. BUT BE CAREFUL...it can be deceiving! Crunches SEEM easy on the ball, but they're really more concentrated. So I would only do QUALITY 3 sets of 10 the FIRST time you do it or if you're out of shape, and see how you feel the next day or two. When you're able to do 3 quality sets of 10 with ease, then you can gradually work yourself up to sets of 15, 20, and 25...but remember QUALITY is more important than QUANTITY!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• more effective... good job
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I had a trainer a few years ago that told me it is better. I think it is easier and more effective way to do crunches.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• more effective
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i think the ball is much better because you have to keep your balance therefore making you work harder.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 3:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• it's more effective because your core has to work to stabilize you on the ball
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Ugh, I *hate* crunches, period. I dated a personal trainer for about three years and he claimed doing ab exercises on the ball was more effective. Good thing, too, because if I were to I lay down on the ground to do crunches, there is no way I am getting back up. LOL
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2011