Can I get some help with my 4 yr ol ds

Hes really outta control. He back talks, screams at baby, breaks all his toys, trys to hurt baby and I dont no what to do with him. I have tried all kinds of dicipline but NOTHING works....grrrr...please some advise would b welcome.

lovinmyboyz4

Asked by lovinmyboyz4 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's testing limits and getting away with it all. Set down some house rules, yesterday, and be consistent. If he breaks a toy, then he plays with broken toys. If he can't be nice to the baby, then he spends time alone in his room. If he mouths off, then he does a 4 minute time out. If he can't behave in public, then you leave the public area.

If you are consistent and do the same thing every time he'll figure things out. My daughter is also 4 and we have good days and bad days. Young kids like this THRIVE on predictability. If I do X, then Y happens. It's the same idea behind why they want to watch the same movie 20 times in a row.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• my almost 4 year old isnt quite that bad but still bad enough i understand where you are coming from. You said he tries to hurt "baby". did you just have a baby? he could be acting out of jealousy. if so try making him part of her routine. my son was the same way (never tried hurting dd ). and a few days ago i changed time out a little. we have a timer on the microwave and i set it and sit him down and that is the most effective time out we have found so far. well good luck and i hope he straightens up soon
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You need to be consistant with him and predictable. Make sure he understands there will be negative consequences to neg behavior and positive consequences for his pos behavior. Find what works for him.....have him earn TV time or one on one time with you. Make it positive instead of always taking things away....earning things. I have a behavior chart for my oldest son who is 6. I have 3 goals for him...3 behaviors that he needs to work on....and i give smiley faces when he does what he is supposed to and frowning faces when he doesnt. He knows what is expected of him and knows the consequences if he acts out. Good Luck
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Be consistent in whatever method you try.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• try not getting him new toys and setting up time for just him and you time and dont give him negative attention that is what he is getting and stick to your guns
    angelsmurf1989

Answer by angelsmurf1989 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• 1. Everythng he is doing is a way to get your attention. He is doing it, to make you have to take atten away from the baby. And put it on him. Even though it isnt the right way. It's the only way he feels works. Also if he breaks a toy, make him throw it in the trash and then don't get him a new one. If you make him throw away all his broken toys, he will start to see he is loseing toys. and thats not good. It will stop.

Ways to help are, make him be more helpful, let him get you dipars/wipes when need it. Let him run and get them to brun off some of the stem he is feeling. Play games with both of them. But then make sure to set time aside for JUST THE TWO OF YOU! Play a game, watch a movie. Spend time with him while he is taking a bath before bed, read a story together at nigiht. JUST THE TWO OF YOU! If you do this, he will go to bed in a good mood and wake up in one too.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 4, 2011