Pot Liquor

I'm bored so here's the situation.
I was talking on a mother's cooking site and I mentioned that I tend to mix pot liquor in my toddler's juice and was wondering what anyone else did with their's as I think it is a waste to just toss it down the drain. I mentioned that before I had my girl I would use it to water my plants...and I was "yelled" at for doing so. It dawned on me that a lot of people who call themselves cooks and foodies have no clue what this is......so do you? And if you do what do you call it?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 9:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• To me, that's the liquid left over from cooking greens, right? I don't think I'd be able to use it in juice or for plants because I cook mine with salt, or sometimes with bacon grease, which is also salty. It's not much, but it seems like it would be enough to kill a plant.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 9:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have no clue. At first I thought " She put pot in her child's juice!" And then I read more carefully lol
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• The broth from cooking in a pot?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• broth or cooking water
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Bravo! Yes it is cooked veggie water. I don't cook with salt only ginger or garlic so it has a kick to it. Basically like a homemade V8 without the tomato (which I cannot stand to drink.) Mind you there is never much left- only a shot glass full or two, but it did help the flowers during a drought....
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Yea I was shocked when I first read your post .. I was like "Great another deadbeat mother drugging up her child" or something. lol Then I read the answers. I've never heard of it refered to like that. Interesting.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Never heard of it.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2011