I am almost 38 weeks pregnant and i have began lactation does this mean my baby will come sooner then my due date (april 18)

should i start pumping ? i know it brings on labor but isnt that ok know that i am full term? this is my first and im abit clueless...

zaysmomma111

Asked by zaysmomma111 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It doesn't mean anything. your leaking colostrum. That can happen way way before your ready to have the baby. There is absolutely no reason to pump NOW. Don't.
    Anonymous

• unfortunately i don't think so, I'm 29 weeks and have had some leaking for a month or more now. 38 weeks though, you could go at any time!
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You are full term and this is just part of the process. I started at 7mo. with my 4th.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You are more than likely producing colostrum.

Full blown milk doesn't come in until after the baby is born. It's triggered by hormones.
    don't worry about pumping and even though they say that you are 38 weeks, they can be off by 2 weeks either way. Don't rush it. Labor will come when it's time.

I was leaking from week 24.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Lactation can start at virtually any point in pregnancy after the second trimester. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll have the baby sooner, but it's a good indication that your body is gearing up to deliver this baby. Pumping is not required as your baby will need that first milk (called colostrum) right after birth. It will protect him/her and give him/her the best nutrients first thing.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 9:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You should never pump before you are in labor. Also, it doesn't necessarily mean the baby will come any earlier. With both of my pregnancies I leaked colostrum from the 5th month on. You may just have a really good milk supply! lol. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• oh ok well thank you ladies for the feed back
    zaysmomma111

Comment by zaysmomma111 (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Leaking means nothing. I leaked throughout the second half of my first pregnancy, and no labor by my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks. I didn't leak at all during my second pregnancy, and baby came right on time.

And no reason to pump. It's not milk, just colostrum, so you won't get much anyway, usually no more than a few drops. Nipple stimulation can cause contractions, but there's no way of telling whether they'll be "real", productive contractions or just stronger-than-normal Braxton-Hicks. You can try it if you want, since you're full term, but I would recommend discussing with your doctor first, and probably more comfortable not to use a pump.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Don't pump, that's not safe. And you are closer to 37 weeks than you are 38. It can cause really hard contractions that cut off oxygen to baby.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No it doesn't i started producing milk and leaking every where when i was 15 weeks lol. Lets just say i was nicknamed the milk cow! :)
    vengels05

Answer by vengels05 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011