How to talk to these people !?!?!?

After a few months of going to my parents church ( my dad teaches there too ) we decided that it wasnt for us. I believe in God but I would just consider us "open-minded" about religon ...

I have a couple people from their church on my Facebook still and since we live in a small town i often run into them....

I like them, they are nice but it ALWAYS turns into a conversation about GOD and I just dont know what to say, and it almost feels like they are trying to trick me into saying something wrong so they can tell me how I need to be back in church or something.

Like earlier one of them was asking me about my daughter starting kindergarten this year and I told her how nervous I am... and she said well this is why we just have to leave it to god to watch over them and not worrry... I kind of just replied with a "yeah" and tried to think of something to keep the convo going... but she just kept talking about it to where I had to act like I had to go..

They also ask when they will see us back in church and or just something church related andI just do not know how to respond without offending them or getting a lecture ( I get enough of that from my dad )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I get this completely, same issue I had for a while. The best response I think you can give if they get very adamant about asking is "I think God is pulling us in another direction.." and watch them try to argue/puzzle that one out ;)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 9:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If your only common ground is "church", then why would you expect anything different? Maybe they don't know this is how you feel. You've made the impression that you're Christian to them. And I don't really see anything wrong with telling a church-goer that it's ok to leave things in God's hands and trust that He'll take care of them. If it bothers you so much, then tell them how you feel.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Also, I don't think they're trying to "trick you", lol. Maybe you feel guilty of something? I don't know.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No Renee ... I dont feel guilty it is that I feel this way because everytime I reply and i dont follow up with saying something about God, then they just keep bring more to the conversation.... Like one time one asked how we were doing and i said that we had been going to be with my MIl alot since my FIl recently had a stroke and she said the church would say a prayer and I said thank you, she then said we should come back, and I said we arent planning on it at this time, and then she acted mad and said that we should really come back.... I feel "tricked" because i feel like if I dont say something "right" then they make me feel like whatever is wrong in our lives it is because we are not in church...

We do have more in common than the church, our children go to the same school, our husbands work together and we live a street apart .... there are several things we could talk about
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well, then you're right in finding another church. I would still tell them how you feel though. My church does not behave this way.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• How many more anti-Christian do you have left to write tonight, just asking.
    Anonymous

• Who are you talking to anon? Sure hope it's not me. People ask questions, I answer them. And I'm not pushing anything on anyone so I don't see what the issue is.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I like what EdwinsMommy said. That should do the trick.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thank them for their concern, But God is calling you to another path right now. If they argue, then say Oh so you're right and God is wrong? Aren't we suppose to listen and go where God wants us, not what others or we want?
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I seriously do not understand people like this, regardless of the topic, being pushy about another's personal choices. I have little patience for that mess, and although I will be polite, I do stop them if they continue on after I've already said my piece. My suggestion is to do like some of the other ladies have suggested and just tell then that you feel God is guiding you elsewhere and leave it at that. If they continue, a silent stare and then change of topic can convey the message that you are done with the religious topic. You do have every right to be blunt if they still continue to be pushy. If they are offended by that, then maybe they would do well to reevaluate their behavior.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2011