Open-minded christan ?

i seen someone refer to themselves as this.... is there really such a thing, that just seems silly that they would call themselves that? What does that even mean ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I consider myself to be an open minded Christian. Gays should be allowed to marry and a woman should have the right to choose what she does with her body (abortion). I will not push my beliefs on you or try to convert you. Hell I will have a beer with you and crack jokes about Christianity all day.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I consider myself an open minded Christian. I think things over before making an opinion on them, I don't allow "orthodoxy" or "tradition" to dictate my stance on issues. I believe what I believe based on MY convictions and understanding of God, Jesus, and his message in the Bible - so I support homosexuality, as well as have other beliefs that are contrary to "traditional" teachings....

I also don't believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible or think that something is right just because its what's been taught for a few hundred years. I believe in digging as deep as I can into the context and history of an issue and deciding for myself, instead of just having other people regurgitate to me what they believe....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• why is that silly? EVERYONE has the ability to be open minded.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Why couldn't a Christian call themselves open minded?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'm a Christian....but I'm not so "religious" that I'm incapable of having an intelligent discussion with someone about other faiths or lack of. Maybe that's what the person was talking about?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with all the above comments
    agallo004

Answer by agallo004 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thanks ladies- you all took the words out of my mouth-
    there are open and closed minded "everything"- including Atheists, liberals, conservatives, Pagans- name it and you will find those that believe a very narrow view and those that are more open minded-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I actually have a "mommy friend" (her son is in my son's class), who would be a great example of an open minded Christian. She is very strong in her faith. Her husband's work is related directly to Christianity, and they even have this beautifully painted 7 foot tall portrait of Jesus in their living room. She is very open about her faith, but never once in the two years I've known her has she ever tried to push it on me, and she has always been respectful of the fact that I'm an atheist. Not long ago she was telling me about a good friend of hers who is in the process of adopting a baby with his husband, and how excited she was for them. There are a dozen more great examples, but I'll just leave it by saying that I think she's super cool... she and I have so much in common - except for the fact that she is a very firm believer in God, and I am a very strong atheist.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• They exist I promise. They tend to be the more laid back "live and let live" type of Christians that tend to focus on the love rather than the whole "fire and brimstone" bit. So unless you witnessed them being the one (fire and brimstone) and they claimed the other, I really don't see why the idea of an open-minded Christian is "silly".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well it's quite simple really. There are Christians like my uncle who spew out disgusting things about hell and preach with hatred. They yell and scream to anyone who doesn't believe as they do, that they will burn in hell. There there are people like me, and other moms on this site who believe that Christ taught about love and charity, and who interpret the Bible not literally, but figuratively. People like that talk about their beliefs with love and with kindness, and don't shove their beliefs in the faces of other people. That is what I think it means to be an open-minded Christian. Not someone who spews about random, meaningless Bible verses and Hell.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011