Question for all who are in favor of legalizing marijuana for recreational use...

I think that many of us are in favor of legalizing medical marijuana, so my question isn't about that. How would full legalization work? Are you okay with people getting high in front of their kids? How about smoking in the home, where the house stinks or the kids may get some secondhand smoke? Is it okay for people to be around their kids when they are high? I'm not talking about just a mild "buzz" - I'm talking about getting stoned stupid where they can't follow a conversation or finish a thought.

Please try to keep on subject and not change this into, "well, people drink...". Most of us agree that people shouldn't be drunk around their kids.

Is it realistic to think that if it is legalized, people will be discreet?

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 10:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Use and abuse are 2 vastly different things. The same rules that currently apply to cigarettes and alcohol could be instituted. Do we ban alcohol or cigs in homes where minor children live? Is it against the law to be drunk in your own home, if your children are safely in bed?

If people can be responsible with other mood altering or toxic substances, I am sure MJ would be no different.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I don't know how you can't turn it into a comparison with alcohol. The irresponsible people will always be irresponsible with any "agent" of their choosing and those of us who are responsible with any "agent" whether alcohol or whatever will continue to be responsible. It is a comparison that must be drawn. I can tell you that those people are already getting high in front of their kids legal or not probably - legalizing isn't going to make that happen anymore.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Sorry to go there but there IS a comparison to alcohol. Try watching someone deteriorate from heart and liver failure. It's really nasty. Not gonna happen with MJ> :) Sorry OP
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• yeah marijuana and the plethora of other carcinogens we expose ourselves to every day or in the plastic cups we so dutifully drink our 8 glasses of water to stay healthy out of (are killing us) - if a consenting adult wants to indulge for medical or recreational use then they should be allowed to. Cigarettes also are KNOWN to cause cancer but they are legal? Alcohol - fetal alcohol syndrome - legal. That is no argument.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I totally agree with what Sisteract said. She basically took the words from me lol. People will abuse any substance, but that doesn't mean that everyone would abuse marijuana, just like not everyone abuses other substances.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• People abuse food in front of their kids as well. Lots of people are vaporizing and eating it now as well. And I'm sure when they do legalize it that they will do things in a discreet manner, such as cigarettes that look like tobacco products. And just like alcohol there will be a high tax, age limits, and won't be allowed to be high in public, and only consumed in desiganted areas.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Musicmom, my nursing textbooks all say that there is a connection between marijuana use and leukemia. It's not as innocuous as the pro-legalization lobby would have you believe.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• yeah, and there is a connection to colon cancer and heavy meat eating, obesity to overeating and excessive junk food as well...
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i dont understand why every one is agaisnt it every one does a little marijuana in their day if they legalized it and taxed it do you know how our economy would be today not bad at all
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 11:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Nicolia- It seems every time it's put on the ballot, people become puritans. I've never been a pot smoker, but I'm not afraid that legalizing the drug, would cause rampant hard core drug use or a sharp rise in crime. From a purely economic view, I think legalizing MJ could be very lucrative-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2011