My 5 year old son has Cerebral Palsy, should we look into a toddler jogging stroller or wheelchair?

Our son uses a reverse walker but mainly for shorter distances. We are wanting something to help him and me when we go "out and about." He can crawl but he is unable to stand unassisted or even pull himself up. If we go out, I have to carry him. I want him to experience everything his twin brother can who also has CP but extremely mild. As he grows I can't continue to lift and carry him. I've been going over pluses and minues for both and can't seem to figure out or find the right style. Any advise would be much appreciated.

momoftwinboysjj

Asked by momoftwinboysjj at 10:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would talk to a medical supply store. They should be expierenced with this and know what would help you the most. Also your pedi might could point you in a good direction. Good luck
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Im sorry to hear about your sons. You sound like a wonderful caring Mom. Like the PP said I would go to a medical supply store and talk to someone. Im not sure how big you son will get and/or how fast he will out grow them. Young kids seem to like jogging strollers and they seem easier to handle. I have had my hubby in a wheel chair and its a pain, but he had to have his leg out and people just didnt care. I have noticed people move out of the way more for strollers then they do for wheel chairs. You will get more pitty looks if he is in a wheel chair then if he is in a jogging stroller. Its a tough one, my first thought was jogging stroller, esp if your son will stay small and fit into it for a while. Good Luck!
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think it depends on what your long term goals for him are. I have no experience in this, but it seems to me that if you want him to learn how to use a wheel chair as he gets older, then that would be a better route. Just my two cents though, I'm not sure if it made any sense. :)
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would talk to his therapist (I assume he's in therapy) and see if you can get your insurance to cover a special needs stroller. We almost got one for my daughter but I decided that she was finally walking well enough and not fatiguing too quickly. I'd also talk to his therapists to see what they recommend, they might want him to start using a wheel chair. Good luck!!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have NO experience in CP but I would think (since he is 5) that it is probably time for a wheel chair. Wheel chairs are socially accepted and most places accomodate them. Just my opinion!
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 11:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• So sorry to hear about your boys. My niece has CP and she did eventually learn to walk even though the doctors said she never would! With that being said she was 9 years old when she finally did. My SIL had something that was a cross between the two that she got from a catalog at a medical supply store. I would talk with a therapist as there are many special needs strollers out there and that is likely going to be the better choice for you since regular strollers have weight limits and he may already exceed those at 5 years old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011