What is hell? Where is it? (s/o of another question)

I asked this in another post, and was accused of being sarcastic. True, I often am, but I'd like to see some answers to the questions about hell.

First, a caveat:

Lately, any question that concerns Christian dogma is characterized as an anti-Christian post.  I am not anti-Christians.  Many people, including my parents, are Christian, and I love them dearly and respect them deeply. I simply don't believe in that religion.  Not believing is not the same as being disrespectful.  I put religion in the terms that I believe, just as those who believe make their statements according to those beliefs. In other words, I don't always use the upper case when I write "god", and I use words like "supposedly".   I do not take that as being disrespectful of what I feel to be true.

Christians in this section write about their beliefs in terms that are right for them--with the assumption that their beliefs are right and true, and don't carefully tip-toe around the wording of those things because others have different beliefs.  Get what I mean?  I don't get offended if a Christian talks about her beliefs in terms that frame her beliefs, so how could anyone be offended if I term my views in terms that frame mine?

With that said, I'd like to get back to the question of hell. 

Long ago, people believed that hell was a fiery lake somewhere "down there" where Satan lived and tortured those who sinned against God.  Now that we are more aware of what is actually "down there" and it doesn't fit the previous beliefs, and now that we know that heaven isn't somewhere above the clouds, but some place that will open after Jesus' second coming, what does that mean for hell?  It certainly doesn't await a second coming if its Satan's realm.  He wouldn't be so polite to wait for the souls he so greedily wants for his own.

So. . . what is hell?  Where is hell?  Is it a place?  Is it a different dimension?  What do you believe it to be?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think hell is right here on earth frankly with all the nightmarish stuff going on and sick people preying on innocent people.
    Anonymous

• According to what I understand, Hell is basically being away from the light of God. It's not fire and brimstone, it's simply being separated from God's love.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 11:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Vegas? ; )
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• That sounds more like hell for the innocent. How do you think that would fit with the Christian idea of hell as a consequence of not believing in the main tenet of Christianity? Christians fall prey to sick people, too. Why would they have to suffer that hell when it is supposed to be the final sentence for non-believers?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I've never been to Vegas, Clarity. I'll have to take your word on that one. ;-)
    jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If I am remembering my studies correctly the whole idea of Hell being a lake of fire in the center of the earth is due to a gross mistranslation of the original texts and an influence of other beliefs being mixed in.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• As in the olden days many of us were taught about heaven and hell, by our great grands and grands. Many people see different beliefs and some still stick with the heavenly father and the devil beneathe us. I dont really see why people can't believe as they wish, the word God has been in our schools, on our bills and change for as long as any of us have been alive. This US was here before other countries decided to get offended by what they so desparately desired to come here for... now we are exspected to change what we were to not offend others. I am sure as long as we are good to one another no matter what we believe and respect one another it really shouldn't matter. Why judge others or their beliefs.. does it make it right??
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We lived in Vegas for 2 and a half years. It is HOT.LOL.
    I think Hell is a symbol, an imaginary place used to threaten people and intimdate them and force them to "be GOOD". It is much more important to just be good for the sake of being good,with no thought of avoiding "Hell".
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• dont see where Vegas is any different then Atlanta, Panama City, or any other tourist town
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My understanding of Hell is that it isn't a place so much as a state of being. In my beliefs, there is purgatory where we go if we aren't quite ready for Hell because of certain sins we've committed, but we will some day get to be with God. It is a bit of suffering in that we are separated from God, but at least we aren't there forever. Then there is Hell, which is for those who die in a state of mortal sin. They will be separated from God for all eternity. Again, it's not really a place, it's a state of being in the afterlife.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011