If you were very close to a hospital, would you try homebirth?

If you lived within 5-7min --from ER door to your door--would you think more about having a homebirth w/midwife?? (and this is the hospital u would have delivered in if HB wasnt an option-- and u had a normal pregnancy)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have and would again! ;)

Homebirth is as safe if not safer than hospital birth! I'd ideally like to be within 30 minutes of a hospital for those very rare complications.

I was also very comfortable giving birth in my own home and my midwife did all the clean up!
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Absolutely!

Studies show you are SAFER delivering at home than in a hospital if it is your second baby and JUST AS SAFE if it is your first baby.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yeah as long as I had people who were well trained and experienced with me.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Considering I do live exactly 5 miles away from a hospital, I AM having a homebirth! :) I love the thought of having my baby in my home, and because my first birth with my daughter was so smooth and I went completely natural, I know now what to expect and I am not near as anxious. Good luck with your decision! :)
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 12:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have and will again in June! I had 2 in hospital and 1 so far at home and can't wait for my June baby....having a baby at home was a million times better than hospital for me :)
    leejoy

Answer by leejoy at 1:41 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Of course~ I would do it if the hospital were 5 hours away, lol!
    ;-P

No... Actually I would never birth in a hospital if I were healthy & normal (like I have been in my pregnancies so far).
    I have been to enough home & hospital births, worked with enough birth staff, classes, books, etc., lol, to be too aware that a hospital is a great place to avoid if you can!
    ;-)

Good luck, let me know if I can help more!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I considered it when I lived 20 minutes away so definitely yes. There is so much more that goes into this decision then how far you are from the hospital though. We personally could not afford it so I went with a trusted midwife in the hospital and had support personnel who were armed and ready to do battle with the hospital, but they didn't need to as all went well both times for me.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would consider it and talk to D about it and in the end if baby was coming right then what can you do
    SatyrsMom

Answer by SatyrsMom at 11:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would go to the hospital.
    mamatobe105

Answer by mamatobe105 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Cant do home birth because of high blood pressure.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2011