ADD/ADHD. a new solution!

So me and my sis and bro are ADD...or so my mother was told. We have all joined the military on some scale or anouther and we have all been sleep apnea tested. WE DON'T ENTER REM SLEEP. our docs (who did not confer all in different states) said that we weren't getting rested and so showed ADD symptoms.

Would anyone with an ADD/ADHD child be willing to get a sleep study done if it removed the label of ADD/ADHD from there child?

I did with my oldest, she now takes a pill which helps to relax her mind before sleep. So much better!!!

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• You should put this in the market area.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Oh. K! thanks.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• where is that?
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I don't think this is an ADD/ADHD "solution", as much as it sounds like an odd hereditary quirk you share with your siblings and daughter.

I have ADD, and DH has ADHD, and we both sleep normally. DH is a physician, so that isn't something that we simply might not be aware of being a problem. DS may have ADD, and if he legitimately does, I don't have a problem with him having that "label", as it will make it easier for us to help him in ways specific to his needs.

I'm glad you found an answer for you and your family and things are better for you, however, for those of us with "real" ADD/ADHD, it is unfortunately not a "solution".
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Wow! You totally might have stumbled on to a real serious solution here. I'm actually tearing up. I was ADD in school and though I've gotten a lot better it still affects my life. And for a while in school my mom would give me melatonin to help me sleep because I have always had trouble sleeping. I wonder how many of us are just having sleeping problems.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Personally I think that ADD is caused by not sleeping "properly". Our eyes move like with REM but the brain activity says we are still awake. Side thought...How many "prophetic dreamers" are not doing REM? my dreams are either very vivid or not there at all.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't think this belongs in the maketplace...she isn't selling anything.

It would be worth looking into if my kids showed the symptoms.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• (quote: Audrice1985) Personally I think that ADD is caused by not sleeping "properly". Our eyes move like with REM but the brain activity says we are still awake. Side thought...How many "prophetic dreamers" are not doing REM? my dreams are either very vivid or not there at all.
    -----------------------

I think you need to do more reading about what ADD actually is, rather than making your own conclusions based on your individual experience (which was not even ADD as you admitted in your OP). Do you actually have any real medical training at all? (and by that, I don't mean Google "research") If not, please try to refrain from spewing any more misinformation about this subject.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• That would be why I said "personally"! I am not a professional that's why I said "would you TEST". No one knows what ADD is. That much has been admited to me by countless Dr.s. My cousin, under further testing was found to not have ADD but to be a high functioning autistic. I just want others to know there are other ways to deal than freaking pills the zombie out our kids.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• (quote: Audrice1985) No one knows what ADD is.
    ----------------
    Again, you are incorrect. Doctors know what ADD is. The neurotransmitters in brain of a person with ADD are handled differently than those without, and this has been proven with imaging studies. What is not exactly clear is what causes it. Sleep issues may mimic the symptoms of ADD, but lack of proper sleep is not an actual *cause* of ADD.

You did not find a "solution" to ADD, you simply found that you were misdiagnosed years ago, and although your symptoms may have been similar, you never had actual ADD in the first place.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011