How do I tell my boss who just hired me that I am pregnant?

I just got hired at this company. I had the interviews all lined up and then i found out that I was 13 weeks pregnant at the time. I went through all the interviews not telling them that I was pregnant and now I am 16 weeks and I start Monday. I can decide whe to tell my boss im pregnant. Im going to start showing here real soon and its going to be obvious. What should I do?

slatsch

Asked by slatsch at 11:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• Depending on if you're required to do heavy lifting, I don't think it's important until they can tell. I start my new job Monday & I'm 16 weeks unnoticable yet.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 11:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• The best thing you can do is be honest. Go in Monday and tell the boss you just found out you were pregnant and thought they should know BUT you're ready to work for as long as possible.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I work in a bank now and my boss revealed to me in our meeting that she's not into the whole pregnancy thing and doesnt want to talk about it to anyone. and I havent told here i was pregnant yet... strange that scared me...
    slatsch

Comment by slatsch (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Don't tell them until someone asks. As long as you able to do your job and there are no safety concerns, then you are fine to not tell them.

When they do ask, tell them that you found out after the interview and didn't think it was a problem.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• not into the whole pregancy thing? not sure what she would mean by that. well just so you know she can not fire you because of your pregancy. so i would say at any time that you are comfortable with letting her know. what you could do is when you tell her is that you have just found out and didnt know about it until after you were hired but you are prepared to work as long as possible and your plans for maternity leave and when you come back to work.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• OP..that changes the table a bit. That boss just gave you justification not to tell her. When they ask when you become obviously pregnant..tell them the boss made it clear to you she didn't want to hear about being pregnant. If you live in an "AtWill" state they can fire you without any reason given.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Just to let you know. I just got fired from my job after I told them I was pregnant. They knit picked & found something small to fire me over. So, no, they can't fire you for being pregnant, but yes, if they don't want to deal w it they will find an unrelated legitimate reason to let you go. Like I said, I'm 16 weeks & start my new job Monday. No reason to mention it unless your baby is at risk, then have a doctors note ready.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 11:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• See im a really hard worker and when we had our meeting she said she really like me and my personality because her and I are alike so i take that as a plus I just have to keep her liking me...
    slatsch

Comment by slatsch (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• You tell him that you have exciting new to share! Hand him a plan for transitioning your responsibilities during your maternity leave. Don't apologize, be positive!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would just tell them, they can't fire you and all you have to say is you didn't know when you where hired, though even if you did know, I don't think they can fire you fro that either
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2011