New baby & dog

Any advice on how to get my new baby & my old, hyper rat terrier dog to be safe in the same household?

shynu

Asked by shynu at 11:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Pets

• The dog may be jealous of the baby? Show the dog equal attention. The dog may need more time to adjust to the-baby. I Would keep a close watch on them both.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I my chihuahua was my first baby. And about 2 years after I adopted her, i had DD. And i couldnt imagine alienating Boo, my chi, or treating her any differently. I swear, she knew I was pregnant, and would sit and lay on my belly, whenever she could, like she was trying to hatch an egg lol. She loved that baby from day one. I put DD in her carseat, and put her on th ground for Boo to come see her. She walked over, wagging her tail, and peeked in and sniffed. Then she tried to get into the carseat, and i corrected her. She quickly learned that the baby was to be played with gently, snuggled, and respected. Boo sleeps next to her crib every night, plays with her all day, comes on our walks with us, and sits in DD's lap (DD is almost 2 now) on all car rides.
    Dont treat yor dog any different. And correct him/her' behavior around the baby as you would any other bad habit. It worked for us, and Boo has never bitten any kids.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Well, I will say that you should NEVER leave a baby and a dog alone in the same room, because anything could happen. Other than that, I don't know.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thank you. No way I'm getting rid of my dog, unless baby is allergic...cross fingers cause I love him to death do us part. Lol
    shynu

Comment by shynu (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Aw! I love to hear good stories like that. Makes me more optimistic.
    shynu

Comment by shynu (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2011