Do you think itis right for a daughter to get paid taking care of her Mother?

There is nothing wrong with the mom she is just in her 80's and is still working. The daughter goes through an agency.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Relationships

• Yes it is wrong because when her mother was raising her a child was she paid to take care of her? I personally feel that we owe it to our parents when they need us. But it sounds like her mother is capable of taking care of herself so basically she is being paid for doing nothing?
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• If she's going thru an agency, then I guess it's alright. Someone was going to be making the money anyway, so why not the daughter? Everyne's got to pay their bills and this way she gets them paid and gets to know her Mom has someone that cares about her taking care of her.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 3:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• If the mom would have someone else taking care of her if the daughter wasn't able to, then yes. Quite frankly, I think it would be in more people's best interests if family members could take care of them. Also, by getting paid, it might be the only way that the daughter can afford to take care of her mom. Hopefully, this might end up with a better mother/daughter relationship.
    sizesmith

Answer by sizesmith at 3:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• If thats the job of the daughter, then of course. Its better her taking care of her mother before a stranger does.

but im wondering. when her mother is still working in her 80's (which is absolutely not alright, that lady should stay at home and retire!) why would her daughter have to take care of her anyway?!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I agree with sizesmith.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• To the above replier, I doubt she's doing nothing. I'm guessing it's one of those programs where someone comes in and cleans their house, cooks 1or 2 meals a day, takes them grocery shopping, to the dr or where they need to go over a 3 hour preiod so many days a week. My Mom did this job and it wasn't for her own Mom but she loved the job, she stayed busy while she was there but she did spend some time just sitting and talking to the people (they need human interaction, especially at that age to kee their mind active). I stayed and took care of my Mom 24/7 and didn't ask to be paid (my Mom did give me $35 a week for spending money tho).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 3:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I missed the part about working. What does an 80 yr old do for work?
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 3:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Well she lives with her Mom and also the mother has been with the same family for the past 40 years taking care of their kids and their grandkids.
    Anonymous

• well if its through a agency then its ok i think. im sure its a situation to where she comes over helps her mom cook and clean runs arrands for her and maybe takes her to work. I dont see anything wrong with it its better her then a stranger. Obviously if its through a agnecy the mother sighned up with them to recieve care so she needs help its better its her daughter then a stranger who could abuse her.
    Anonymous

• But through an agency isn't it against the law to get paid for taking care of your relative?
    Anonymous