does clomid really work? Can you just call your obgyn and ask for a prescription or will they have to run test? How long will you have to take it before you become preggo?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• okay here is how most clinics work. you can't just call up and ask for clomid. you have to have an infertility issue and most clinics want you to try for a year before they do any work up. they will want to check your hormone levels by blood and then do a semen analysis on you so and go from there. yes clomid works. i only had to take it for one cycle and was prego. the average is taking it for 3-6 months.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 3:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• yes clomid works my sister in law was on it and by her second cycle was pregnant. however they wont just give it to you. you will have to see your dr and they do tests to find out what the problem is and most the time if you havnt been trying for atleast a year they wont do much untill then. So you will have to set up a dr apt first and go from there.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Clomid does work, but only for certain fertility problems. It's mostly prescribed for women who do not ovulate regularly or who have issues with their eggs. It's not a miracle drug that is going to instantly get you pregnant.

It require monitoring by a physician to make sure your ovaries do not hyperstimulate.

You'll need to see an OBGYN or fertility clinic to see if you are even a candidate. As most of the PP have said, they usually want you to try for about a year before they'll do any kind of fertility treatments.

For me to get pregnant, I had to take 2 different rounds of Clomid. My body does not ovulate regularly if at all, so I was a good candidate for the drug.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 4:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I didn't have any testing done, I had very irregular cycles and my gyno was a midwife so after going off birth control and 3 months later my period didnt come for 65 days she put me on provera w/clomid to help me out. I took it for 3 months no luck. I was on 50 mg then. Then about a year or so later she gave me the choice to try it again but 100mg that time. The first month on it I got preg but unfortunently at almost 7 weeks I lost that one. Almost a year later I took it again and successfully got preg off the 100mg and I'm now 14 weeks along, and so far everything is fine. After my m/c though my cycle did get closer together - I was avg 55 days before i got preg the first time then after i lost that one it went down to 32 days.

I would say if you've been w/you gyno for over a year and you ask her/him about maybe trying it, there is no harm. He/she may want to moniter you and may not. I was never monitored on it.

chellchell

Answer by chellchell at 6:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008