Euthanize a rat humanely at home?

My pet rat has a mamarry tumor right under her chin. We've had it removed twice, at $300 each time, and were told that it would continue to come back over and over. We decided to just keep her as long as she was happy, eating, and not in pain. Well it's the size of a golf ball now and while she is still happy and eating, it's getting harder and harder for her to walk around.

If need be, we'll find the money to have her put down at a vet's office. But we are really struggling right now. Is there a humane and safe way to put her down at home? I feel like a monster even asking this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pets

• Dont use ether, the animal will fight if it has a strong heart, and you will always remember you kill her. please find a way to have the vet do it......God bless you, and bless it soul too....
    sumbeach

Answer by sumbeach at 12:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• The only way would be poison.. and that would be a painful death. I'd op for the vet to do it. I know it's hard to loose a pet but sometimes you have to think of what would be best for them... I'm sorry you're having to even consider this. I have a post about pet loss I'd like you to read. It'll make you feel much better, I promise....
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Check with animal shelters and see what they will charge to have it done. Also, a lot of animal societies in your area my do this. Being that it is a smaller pet, it may not cost as much. Sorry you are going through this!
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 3:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• kscmbz: Actually it will cost more. Rats don't have any veins big enough to inject, so the medicine has to go into her heart. In order for it to be painless I have to pay for gas first. I haven't gotten any quotes yet, but I've been warned that it's costly.

MarlyeGirl: I'm going to look now, thank you!
    Anonymous

• I heard the most humane way to euthanize any small pet is to put it in a paper bag and put it in the freezer. They supposedly get sleepy and freeze in their sleep. Don't know, it's just what I've heard.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

AAAAAAAAH! Thats horrible.. works for fish but.. come on.. a rat?!

One of our responsibilities as a pet owner is doing what is right for the pet. Its needs to be put down humanely and the only way to do that is with vet assistance. Somewhere in town will let you make payments.. yeah I know that sucks, but your rat will thank you for it...
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I can't do the freezer thing. I just can't. I've been cold before and it hurts a lot.

Thanks everyone for not bashing me. We'll just have to put it on the credit card or something. I can't let her suffer and pretty soon she won't be able to walk anymroe.
    Anonymous

• ether. Put some on a rag and hold it over its face. Its not painful. They just go to sleep and never wake up...But you have to make sure you hold it there long enough...
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Marah, can I just put it in a box or something? Won't she struggle if I'm just holding a rag over her mouth? Ether smells horrible! How long would I have to hold it there?
    Anonymous

• Please don't take it to a shelter. They put a bunch of animals in a metal box and pull out all the air till they are all dead...Just horrible...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Nov. 29, 2008