Is there REALLY such thing as tolerance?

Why is it assumed that when a Christian posts their answer in the ANSWERS section (under R&B), that they're automatically preaching or out "trying to win souls"?

I understand there are a handful that in fact DO behave this way...I'm not talking about them. I am debateful and I ask questions, but I'm very rarely ever rude or pushy to anyone.

When you post a question in the R&B section, don't you expect people from ALL faiths (or non-faith) to answer?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 12:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I would like to think that most of us are opened minded enough to listen to others and what they have to say regardless what we may believe. Knowledge is a great thing and we can never learn enough. I do feel the majority have tolerance or they wouldn't keep coming back. There's ALWAYS a bad apple in every bunch, unless, of course you pick them yourself :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I truly believe there is, but just as you might find intolerance on one side, you'll find it on the other as well. As long as people are aware that these are representations of the individuals themselves and they do not speak for the entire "religion" than there can be tolerance amongst differing beliefs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Often times, I've noticed, Christians get "huffy" simple b/c someone disagrees with what they have to say. THey take it as an attack or that they are being persecuted.
    There is a difference between discussing differences in beliefs, and truly persecuting someone...AND there is a difference between being able to discuss one's beliefs and preaching from a book.

I feel any question on here is open to anyone who wishes to answer. If one wants ONLY answers from only ONE group of people...a public forum that welcomes all beliefs is not the place for you.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I can think of one thing that I am very INTOLERANT of ... the 940 characters we are limited to with our answers!!! *grrrrrrr*

Anyway, like someone else pointed out, you can't see the emotions behind the words on the screen. I tend to get very passionate about certain subjects when talking about them in real life. I don't think that translate well on screen and can come across as intolerance or even arrogance. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• When you post a question in the R&B section, don't you expect people from ALL faiths (or non-faith) to answer?
    ----------
    Yes--if it's a general question. If someone posts a question directed soley to Christians, or to Pagans, etc..I think those are the only ones who should answer the question. JMO

popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Your assumption is flawed. The majority of Christians who post here every day who don't get treated like they're preaching or trying to win souls. The ones who do are the ones who post with an attitude. A lot of people, when they first get here, have habits that are really just plain rude and offensive, but they've never known anyone who isn't like them, so the idea that they're being rude isn't even in the realm of possibilities for them - it's similar to how certain slang expressions that are common in the UK are absolutely despicable here (the c word, for instance). Someone from the UK who doesn't know that visits here, throws the word around as freely as they do at home, and can't figure out why they keep getting slapped. It's why people recommend easing into things slowly, reading more than you post, not jumping in guns blazing - that's in ANY online community, not just here.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

•  What I CAN'T tolerate are the religious people who talk in circles, spewing cookie- cutter answers they've been taught (but don't really understand) and in the process answer nothing but expect you to totally agree with them and then get pissed when you don't. Think for yourself, educate yourself and don't expect everyone to agree with you- and that goes for EVERYONE.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yes--if it's a general question. If someone posts a question directed soley to Christians, or to Pagans, etc..I think those are the only ones who should answer the question. JMO [popzaroo]

What about those that are FORMER Christians or Pagans? Are they "allowed" to answer? Your comment is really an example of intolerance. 

Why is it assumed that when a Christian posts their answer in the ANSWERS section (under R&B), that they're automatically preaching or out "trying to win souls"? [renee3k]

Because there is prejudice in the world. People have had bad experiences and they allow that to color their views/opinions. There are always going to be nutcases/extremists on either side of any debate. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

What about those that are FORMER Christians or Pagans? Are they "allowed" to answer? Your comment is really an example of intolerance.

--

I agree SpiritedWitch. I don't always answer questions directed at Christians--usually only if I'm interested and relate to it, but I have often answered them since I am a FORMER Christian. Many people on here were raised Christian even if we follow other paths now. I still study Christianity sometimes now, and if I feel like I have something to add or want to give my perspective or knowledge of a subject, I will. I consider the questions open to all who are interested.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree that your assumption is flawed. There are many Christians on here who get along just fine, without anyone ever saying we're trying to push our beliefs on anyone or convert anyone. Its not about what you believe, its about how you present that belief. Many different beliefs are tolerated and respected in this section - obviously the only ones that aren't are those that come across in a judgmental or pushy way, but I've seen anti-theists called out too, so its not some double standard. Its just that we do get a higher population of Christians that come across more pushy than we do members of other faiths. If someone keeps saying these things about you, perhaps you should reexamine the way you're representing yourself. The issues here are NEVER about what someone believes, when it comes to the regular members, its all about *attitude*.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011