I just have to ask.....

My SO told me he loved me last night for the first time!!! I am so happy because I feel the same.... However he said he isn't one to say it he shows it because his family never really said it. Is that normal? In my family we said it all the time but his actions do show he loves me. Does anyone have a DH/SO that doesn't really say "Ilove you" This is new to me.

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• I think that its very important. It lets them HEAR it ,ans assures them that they are cared for deeply. Hopefully he will open up with you and return the words. Although he shows you it is still nice to hear it. Dont stop saying it. Maybe thats what he was missing in childhood that emotional closeness. and thats why he is unsure of saying it.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• you should be confident that he loves you...talk is cheap! actions are where it's at!!!!!!!!!!!!
    alleaeon

Answer by alleaeon at 12:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• There is a book called "The 5 Love Languages"... it's a great book that can help you learn how you & he actually show love for each other. It may help you understand how & why he says it or doesn't say it ... thru actions vs words, etc

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Mine says i love you every morning every night every time we get off the phone anytime either of us are going anywhere. And all the time just because. I bet its 30 times a day no joke. My 2 year old is starting to copy us! :) I love it!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Mine rarely says it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• we say it all the time, we both grew up that way, i think it's beautiful my 16 month tries to say it too. gl
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 12:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I definitely would rather a man show he loves me cause saying it's too easy.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 12:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'm sure it is normal for some...just not normal for us. We say it every morning, every night, everytime we leave to go somewhere without the other, every phone call, and random times throughout the day, Our kids are the same way since kids mimick the things they see/hear. I LOVE it :-)
    devonNjaedon

Answer by devonNjaedon at 1:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• This is normal for someone with a family background as you've described. It just takes time. Maybe he will eventually come around to saying it, but don't push him. It will just scare him off.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• ive been in a relationship just like that and i didnt have a probably with him showing it because there are alot of people who are afraid to say the words "i love you" because they think if they say it the relationship wont last so they show it
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2011