Do Heavier(chubby) babies crawl and walk later then light(skinny) babies?

I saw someone elses response to a question and they said usually heavier babies roll over, crawl and walk later in age on average then lighter babies. Do you find this to be true from doctors advice or from experience?

jadensmom14

Asked by jadensmom14 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From my experience it's true. My son was a size of a one year old at 6 months and he didnt crawl until he was 9 months old and didnt walk till he was 13 months old. His doctor told us he took so long because he was a big baby.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Usually yes but there are always exceptions to the rule. It requires strong muscles to crawl and walk. It's just common sense and physics.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My almost 10 lb. baby (at birth) walked and crawled about the same time, if not sooner, as his older brother did.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• That is what my doctor said. My youngest was one of those skinnier babies and moved fast than my cousin's baby who was 6 weeks older but a bigger baby. Like someone said the muscles have to be stronger to move a bigger baby.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My son is in the 97 percentile for weight and height... he crawled at 9 months and walked at 10 months so I don't believe that. He was 4 months when he first rolled over
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thats what Ive been told but none of my children have been heavy so I have no experiance in this.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• personal experience is opposite. my chubby twin walked, crawled and rolled over before my skinny one lol
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• my son is in the 4th percentile for height and weight and walked almost nine months later than his sisters. (none of my children ever crawled!)
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I've heard the same thing. My son was not "big" but he was in the 75th percentile for his weight as an infant. He crawled at 9 months, and walked at 13 months. When they do things could be related to a lot of other factors, or just their own developmental schedule, but I have heard its a little more challenging for bigger babies because they have more to work with haha.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Nope from experience DD was bigger than most her age and started to walk at 6 months.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2011