Stomach Flu

my 9 month old DD just caught the stomach flu...she's vomitting, having diarrhea, and she has a slight fever. how long does the virus last?

Fanta-Mommy

Asked by Fanta-Mommy at 8:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Kids' Health

• it usually lasts 24 hours.
    stubie_21

Answer by stubie_21 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I agree with the 24 hours you may want to call her pediatrician because even though she is vomiting he may want her to have something like pedialite so she doesnt dehydrate, a dehydrates child is not fun esp when you have to hook them up to i.v.'s i saw this in the er quite a bit
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 8:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• The vomiting and diarrhea lasted for about a day or two with my daughter but she felt sick for longer. I worried a lot about her getting dehydrated, so just give her a little bit of fluid at a time so hopefully she'll keep it down.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Another thing you can do, if she has not vomited in over an hour or two... Is get a can of mixed fruit (not lite syrup) (drain fruit and keep syrup)throw fruit away or eat it yourself. Anyway, give her 1 tablespoon of that. Wait and see if she can keep that down for thirty minutes. if so, give another tablespoon. Slowly decrease the time in between.
    This should help with her blood sugar from dropping,nausea,and hunger.
    We give this advice in my pediatric office all the time and our parents swear by it.
    Camrynsmommy81

Answer by Camrynsmommy81 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2008