Adam and Eve???

I'm not a christian but why do so many people persist in bashing them over the Adam And Eve debate? Later on God was said to have sent angels, demons, giants, and dwarves to earth to populate it. So I think the adam and eve story should stand on it's own, not as "evidence" that we are all brothers.

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Religious Debate

• i agree i really dont think that its eves fault that we are all cursed i think we brought somehings on our selves
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 1:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Many people don't like what they can't understand.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't literally believe the Adam and Eve story at all.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Honestly, I don't even believe the Adam and Eve narrative is even "real". I'm a Christian, and I don't believe they really existed. I don't take the Bible literally, don't believe its a historical document, in terms of historical literalism. I believe it was meant to reveal certain truths, not to be considered actual history....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• " Later on God was said to have sent angels, demons, giants, and dwarves to earth to populate it."

I've been a Christian my whole life, read the Bible through several times, and I've never heard this! Very interesting!

What exactly do you mean by the Adam and Eve debate? Like, battle of the sexes, or arguing that we all came from them, or what?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• huh?
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• There are plenty or other creation stories out there where humans were created from dirt, dust, mud etc. The myth of Adam and Eve is not unique. The myths that tell of life coming from the water is scientifically more accurate and thus more believable.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I am like BandGeek where I see the story of Adam and Eve as a metaphor- I believe in the truth of the Bible even if I do not believe in the literal sense-
    For me- I had no problem taking the story of Adam and Eve that I learned as a child and allowing the meaning of it to morph in m mind as I grew older-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't think the symbolism of the rib was imply that Adam and Eve were unequal; quite the opposite, in fact. Eve was not made from the top of Adams head, nor the bottom of his feet, but from his side. She was intended to be his equal, his partner. I also like BUTTERCUP777's take on it. Never thought of it that way...
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Eve was made from the rib of Adam? Thus, Women are NOT Equal with Men?
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 12:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011