Breastfeeding

I just want to say to all the mothers out there that breastfeed currently and are thinking of giving up solely because of what others are putting into your heads: DON'T DO IT! you are doing the right thing for your baby regardless of what others may think and I'm not saying giving a baby formula is wrong by any means because I gave my daughter formula after breastfeeding for 2 months though. I gave up because of the stress of everyone around me telling me that my baby wasn't getting enough to eat or some kind of bullshit like that. I know I shouldn't have listened to any of them, because deep down I knew what I was doing was the healthiest for my baby but for some stupid reason I let them all get to me and I gave up. I am pregnant again and I am proud to say that I am going to nurse this one for as long as I possibly can!! I just feel like there isn't enough encouragement out there for new moms that are breastfeeding because it definitely is a challenge at first.. But if you are doing a good job and not having any problems then keep it up cuz it's soooo worth it! Kudos to you all you are all beautiful! (formula moms too) :)

psylees_mommy

Asked by psylees_mommy at 12:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Can I bump this a million more times? I couldn't agree more! :D
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:58 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Totally agree with you! Its really sad how backwards our society is today. Over-sexualized and everything. The 2 things on our chest put there for the exact reason of feeding our babies, has been turned into something "wrong" or "gross." I am proud to say I nursed my son for 13 months...and I was only 21 when I had him...a lot of girls my age don't even bother trying. I try to encourage people as much as I can because breastfeeding can be hard at first, but if you can get past the first week, you are usually good to go!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'm still getting used to nursing my son, and he's 2 months old! Anyone who expects it to be a totally pain-free process will be disappointed, but the benefits of being able to calm your child instantly, provide the best possible nutrition for them, and form a bond unlike any other with your child far outweigh any temporary discomfort. Keep on keepin' on ladies! :)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 1:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I appreciate that you are encouraging others. Great work. :) I feel like encouraging others to go with their own instincts with regards to feeding their babies is wonderful and helpful. I feel like I set an example for my friends by breastfeeding my daughter that they could do it if they wanted to. I think a lot of young moms today never even consider the option of breastfeeding, so I was glad when my friends came to me asking about it. I felt like if I could encourage them to try it if they wanted to that I was giving them a positive perspective on bfing. I'm proud of all moms who try to or continue to breastfeed bc of their own decisions, not what everyone else tries to tell them is the 'norm' or what everyone else is doing.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had SO much trouble breastfeeding my daughter. I was 21 when I had her. She was my first baby, and all my life I had had flat/slightly inverted nipples. Between that and her mouth just being so tiny, we just could not get a comfortable latch. To avoid nipple confusion, we finger-fed her until I was producing enough milk to use a nipple shield. It was SO frustrating getting her to successfully latch with the shield...you have to express milk into it, and get her interested...and then she falls asleep after two minutes! Oh, it was so hard. I often just wanted to cry. But I persevered. I pumped and bottle fed once fingerfeeding wouldn't cut it anymore. I wouldn't let anyone tell me I would be better off just giving her formula. And I was rewarded for my stubbornness. By 1 month, she succesfully nursed with the shield at every attempt. By 3 months, she was ready to nurse without the shield. I nursed her until 16 months.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Your story is very inspirational to me FluffyMamaBunny! Thanks for sharing! :)
    psylees_mommy

Comment by psylees_mommy (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree. That is a very inspiring story! I guess I'm not sure what "fingerfeeding" is, though?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Go mamas! My son is 18 months old, still going strong at the breast, and has never had a bottle. I was fortunate, over all, that it came quite naturally and easy to us, but there has been pain (especially now that I'm pregnant with #2). It is SO rewarding, though! I feel sad for moms who never experience this.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I did the same thing with my son and I regret it. I want to push though no matter how hard it is until I get the hang of it with my next baby. I like that you didn't criticize moms who use formula though. Breast is best but formula is not poison. It's a healthy alternative. Is it just me or does it seem like most moms give up with in the first 2 months? I stopped at 6 weeks. Maybe if we push through for a couple more weeks we can get past the hardest part????
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'm 16 weeks pregnant, going to those classes & it looks SO hard. I'm gonna be a single mom working a lot & I'm so confused. It's like school, i can never learn from an instructor. So when the time comes I'm gonna b living w my mom who breastfed my little sister & my neighbor, who is currently still breastfeeding her 7 Mon old. She works at the same place but way fewer hours then me & said she'll stick w me & stay on me about it.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 2:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2011