My cousin is in jail for manslaughter II please read and help

Ok so i am 25 and i haven't spoken to or seen my uncle or cousin since i was a kid. I happened to get an email from someone in the family today that said they heard my uncle passed away in 2009 but they didn't know how. I went online and tried to find some info (i found out he died from cancer) and while doing that i found out that my cousin was arrested for manslaughter in last year. I guess what happened is he was drunk and playing with a gun and accidently shot a friend and killed him. This is not a part of my family i have contact with but, I feel like i should do something but, i don't know what. Do i write? how do i find out an address? can i call or visit? How do i find out what i can do? any advice helps thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• The fact is he killed someone drunk accidentally stupid things have concequences... Criminal trials are public record you can find where he is and write a letter offering love, a shoulder to cry on...
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• The fact is he killed someone drunk accidentally stupid things have concequences...

I totally agree. Thats why I am trying to figure out what to do. I have these really strong feeling that i should reach out to him because he is family but then i have another part of me that wonders if he is someone i WANT to have contact with...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yeah, I could understand the conflict. I think it's worth trying to write to him. Maybe he could really use some encouragement, and your support could make a big difference in his life. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Intentional or accident it still makes him a felon. I really, honestly don't think I would want contact with someone like that. Perhaps when they are out of jail and have clearly turned their life around. You could easily fall in trap to be used or hounded for money. I'm not typically a cynical person...but I would use great caution before allowing him to know where you live and such.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• well im sorry that you havent talked to him but i think the only thing you can do is go to the police department and ask to get his address or put some money on his books and hey should let you have it
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 1:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree with GrnEyedGrandma. You said you've had no contact with this part of the family since you were a kid, it's been my experience to err on the side of caution. Think about what you could be bringing to your family and weigh all the pro's & cons. I'm sorry you're going through this, just remember you and your family first.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• What you can do since it was a year or so ago you can call the prison he is at and ask for isDOC number which stands for department of corrections and they will give it to you and the address and you can ask how you can send him money for his books to buy his daily needs and they will also let you know the visiting dates and times.
    Sorry to hear that it's so sad.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 2:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I ignored my cousin that was in jail, but his was for druggs for the second time. The fact that he was drunk, to me means that he was not in his right mind. He will probably need as much support as he can get right now. He has to live with alot of guilt and heart ache, he is probley really scared and hurting more than he is willing to admit. I would get his address and find out how he is, then decide what to do. You will know what is best for you. I really hope this helps.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 4:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Unfortunately you cannot choose your family members. His not a monster, it was accident. It nice that you want support him during this difficult time, but be careful. Do not place yourself and your family in harm way.
    singlemom18yrs

Answer by singlemom18yrs at 3:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2011