My Baby Stops Breathing

I took my baby to the ER last night because I noticed as she was sleeping she stopped breathing for a few seconds. She did this a couple times and then took a deep breath like she was gasping for air. The doctors told me all babies have an irregular breathing pattern... I'm worried that their wrong and don't know what thier talking about. To me if a baby stops breathing it's serious and they said she's fine. Has anyone ever experienced this?

NicholeWalls

Asked by NicholeWalls at 4:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually it is very common....especially if the baby was a preemie.
    My daughter will be 4 months next week, was a preemie by 5 1/2 weeks, and is on an apnea monitor due to sleep apnea. The monitor will alarm if she stops breathing for more than 20 seconds. She hasn't had any apneas in over a month except for a few false alarms. Honestly, I am sooo ready for her to be rid of the monitor since it's a pain to lug everywhere...but, the sense of security it gives is amazing.
    I would talk to your ped and see what they say.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I had sleep apnea as a child, which is pretty common but not really dangerous. In babies though, I don't know a lot about it. It would definately worry me as well! I would get a second opinion.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 4:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• call your dr and have her seen. yes babys sometimes do have a uneven patteren of breathing but id still have it checked by her dr. my newphew had asthma which caused him to stop for a couple seconds and then gasp for air. it was scary.
    Anonymous

• I would go to your pedi and ask and then get a second opinion, I was just at my pedis the other day and we were talking about my kids snoring and she said if they stop breathing for 10 seconds or more to let her know because that's not OK.

Anonymous

• My 7 mo old does the same thing , but i had to look at her heart and see if anything was wrong because my oldest girl stopped breathing at 3 mo from 2 holes in heart she is fine. So I would call your pediatrician and ask him to get you in and double check.............................Good Luck
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• My six month old son does the same thing. He'll sleep, stop breathing for three seconds, take a big breath, and sigh it out. That's normal. As long as she isn't blue or wakes up gasping/choking for air, she should be fine.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• The doctor in the ER is right, sort of - it is not uncommon for babies to "forget" how to breathe, or to need help regulating it..

This is why co-sleeping is safer than crib sleeping - when baby sleeps with you, it "remembers" to breathe.. It picks up on your breathing patterns.. Babies who co-sleep are less likely to die of SIDS than crib-sleepers..

Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 6:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I haven't, I would take your baby to a different doctor for another opinion
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2008