Should high school teenagers work part-time?

My daughter father believes it would have prepared and made her more responsible. She was always doing sports after school. I gave an allowance to spent each week to go the movies or hang out with friends. Maybe having her part-time would have given excuses not to do well school, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• No! There is no reason a child should have to work while in school. School/good grades/graduating/getting into college should be their ONLY worries as a teenager. I was not forced to work while in school (did have a summer job in highschool one year) my husband was forced to get a job once he turned 16 and it caused so much stress and affected his school performance. I dont think working while in school teaches responsibility.....doing well in school and getting good grades with the intention of going to college is teaching them enough responsibility at that age. We are so quick to have kids grow up. Let them enjoy their youth....they have the rest of their lives to work and be adults! :-)
    devonNjaedon

Answer by devonNjaedon at 2:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i dont see why not the day after i turned 16 i got a job at mcdonalds it taught me some responsibility and it also gave me my own money to do what i wanted o do with it someimes it gets hard asking mom to give me money when i know it was only her taking care of all of us
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 2:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I played on 3 basketball teams and worked at a gym, plus had a 3.5 gpa.... I think it's good for a teenager has a job personally
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It really depends on that particular teenager. I "worked" since I was 12, doing odd jobs, and it never interfered with my grades (straight A student), graduated with a 3.9 gpa. I bought my own clothes and gas. Working taught me the value of a dollar and day's worth of hard work, and to value my education. I always knew I didn't want to bust my ass like my mother did to make ends meet, but working re-enforced that belief, and it gave me a little spending money and work experience.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yes, working teaches responsibility and that everything in life is not handed to you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My son took a part time once during high school and his grades suffered, so I made him quit and instead got a full scholarship, a lot more $ than any part time would have given him!

Answer by older at 10:40 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yup!! As soon as i hit 14 and could get a work permit i was working part time until i got out of high school then i went straight to work full time. I still played sports & did fine in school. I saved enough to buy my own car when i was 16 and paid for all the upkeep, insurance. I dont believe in handing kids everything on a silver platter, work for what you want!!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 1:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It depends on the exact situation to whether high school teenagers should work part-time or not. For some yes, for others no.
    Caitlin10081989

Answer by Caitlin10081989 at 2:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It's just a matter of adaptation and ambition. My daughter worked 20hrs weekly and still got a 3.8gpa.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I didn't. My dad saw it as I'd have my whole life to work. Then, went to college. Started working 3 part-time jobs.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 2:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2011