Field trip

to far away (20 minutes commute) Albertsons food store...for 6 years old, speaking about healthy habits, jobs of cashier and salesperson...among healthy habits is buying cola (sometimes, though...), children taken by parents and their cars...
Am i too demanding from a field trip- I thought it might be trip to the zoo, to the movie theater, on the school bus?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 2:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• interesting.. usually the best part of the field trip is to go on the bus and go somewhere fun.. seriously what 6 year old wants to know about heathly foods.. its the parents the buy the food!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 2:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• no i mean you say field trip i think of kids with sac lunches on a school bus and a teacher or two per 12 kids and maybe some parents for chaperoning but i never thought it was for the parents to take thier kids to
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 2:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• that is odd... i've never heard of a field trip where the parents drive them,especially to a store- if that were considered a field trip my kids school would have them walking the 1/4 mile to the walmart.
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 2:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• thats a really crappy (for lack of a better word) field trip! I encourage teaching about healthly eating habits...but does it really matter about the cashier job....I aim to teach my children to strive for a career, not a minimum wage job.
    devonNjaedon

Answer by devonNjaedon at 2:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• WTH??? what kind of field trip is that? Your poor son! Albertson's???? I'm kinda stumped what to say! I guess all I can say is I totally agree with 3HappyKidds...
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 2:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't know, I don't get it. This is strangest field trip I ever heard. There are plenty of stores around the school with no commute at all, yet the school gets almost all parents out of job this day to help their children commute to the field trip...We were shown the video of the trip, i feel that at least some the message of the trip is questionable...the teacher's and director's message 'You do not like it, opt out'.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 2:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have a daughter...and the whole situation is quite strange, yet the message of the principal is 'You do not like it- get out' is very clear for any trouble that parents try to address...

she was such a good student at the beginning of the year, now i really believe she was socialized for minimum wage career for the whole year, she absolutely lost her interest for school...now when the field trip announced i even not surprised anymore...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• The school I went to when I was a kid did things like this when parents didn't vote for tax increases. They would do things with us but put the parents out. Kids don't care where they are going on a field trip, they are getting out of school so they will want to go and the parents will end up driving. THEN the next time they put the issue up for vote, parents are more likely to vote for it. My Mom used to get so mad.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My kids' school uses us parents as field trip drivers and chaperones. It is a small private school without a bus. Last month my kindergartener went to Lowe's to learn about wood. I thought it was kind of strange. He had a blast. They even built a little tic tac toe game.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Small private schools have to use parents to drive the students because there are no buses. Public schools are going toward this because of cutbacks and they don't have the money to pay the drivers and the gas. Our public school has gone to making the kids walk to nearly everything they do in town, and I can't tell you how many times I have seen a runaway child nearly hit, so now they have a police escort to close off the intersections as they cross. The school doesn't have to pay for this so it's fine with them. I don't think 20 min is that long of a drive and this store may have been more accommodating for a field trip. If you want to see you child go to the zoo or something maybe you could join the PTO and do some fundraisers for the admission fee. Most schools don't have it in their budgets to spend hundreds on a field trip, hence the free one your school is doing.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2011