Sleep Apnea...

Ok, so I haven't seen my PCP for a while and just last week I saw her because I have been having horrible headaches. I went to the ER because they were so bad! The ER told me oh they are just tension or migraines, we can't really tell. I was like oh thats nice and your an ER???? Well when I went to my PCP the other day she asked if I had sleep apnea and I asked her what's that? So she explained it to me and told me that it could be the cause of my headaches due to lack of oxygen getting to my brain, and one of the many signs that I do have is enlarged tonsils, I have had them since I was a kid! I remember the Docs always telling my mom her tonsils are enlarged and she would tell them they're always like that. So anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has been DX with sleep apnea and what could help me with it so my headaches go away! I have headaches about 6/7 days of the week! Any suggestions?

MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Asked by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 2:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Health

• I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine everynight when I sleep. It keeps the beck of the airway from collapsing on itself when you are sleeping. The only way to difinitively diagnose sleep apnea is to have a sleep study done. Insurance should cover this. You go to the clinic and they hook you up to all kinds of equipment and have you sleep. They measure your level of sleep, oxygen levels and apna episodes the first half of the night. If they see that you do in-fact have sleep apnea they have you wear a CPAP mask the rest of the night and see what pressure you need it set at to prevent the apnea episodes.

I also have mixed tension and migraine headaches. These were at their worst several years after I started using the CPAP so sleep apnea is not the cause of them. I take a daily medication to prevent them and it works wonders.

Good luck to you. I hope you feel better soon.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 3:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I also have sleep apnea and am using a cpap machine, but unlike lori57703, my headaches went away when I started using it. Sometimes even now if for whatever reason I sleep without my machine I will get the headache back. Good luck.

JeannieBee

Answer by JeannieBee at 5:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't have sleep apnea but my mother is a sleep technician so I know more than most humans should... It is indeed possible that this could be the problem. To diagnose sleep apnea they usually do an overnight sleep test where they monitor your sleeping behavior (not a bad process, sometimes they even do the tests in hotels). If it seems that you have sleep apnea they can put you on a cpap (essentially oxygen) machine at night to ease the problem.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thanks so much for your help! I will talk to the doc!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Comment by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2011