How old is old enough to get themselves up for school without Mom?

My 10 year old has her morning routine that she sticks to so is it necessary for me to be up with her?

NurseyC2

Asked by NurseyC2 at 2:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 9 yr old wakes up, takes out the dog, and get's ready for school all on her own.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I got news for you mom as long as they are in school they will always need you there to get them out of bed and off to school.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 3:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I was awake before my kids got up all the way through school. Tell they finished high school. I wanted to make sure they looked presentable befor they walked out the door and to make sure they actually woke up.

Answer by louise2 at 6:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• That is so true, especially from now until Summer Break. My 7th grader is pretty good about getting around without needing help. He just cannot get himself out of bed when the alarm goes off. My 3rd grader is another story. I have to pay close attention to him. I go in to wake him up. He says, "I'm up, Mom!" I leave the room. He falls back asleep. I go back in & this time I make sure he gets out of bed & starts getting dressed. By this time, both of them are dressed and heading to the table for breakfast. I, meanwhile, have a seat on the sofa and check my eyelids for holes. I half listen to their table conversation. After breakfast, the oldest heads to the bathroom to brush his teeth & fix his hair. Younger bro lays down next to the vent to get warm. You see, it is on the far side of the table & I can only see his feet. I have to tell him to go brush you teeth and fix your hair, etc. It gets better with age:)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• well you should at least wake up long enough to see her out the door and then go back to bed...this at least lets them know you care..I'm not saying you don't, you do but kids always feel better about themselves when parents take the extra step
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thank you ladies! Togo, this is the way I feel also but she has told me she would rather do it all herself. I try to hide behind the curtain until her bus comes but she sees me. lol plus I am very fortunate, she hears my alarm before I do and she comes in and wakes me up.
    NurseyC2

Comment by NurseyC2 (original poster) at 3:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i don't think it's a question of old enough but a question of mature enough.

if i left my 12 yr old to get herself ready she would never go to school. but honestly once they get to high school what's the point. they are going to go or not. my husband proved that. when he would beat his mom back home and be getting ready to go fishing. she finally told him if he was going to skip school to let her know so she wouldn't have to waste her time getting up and ready and waste the gas to take him.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 7:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't think I will ever let my children get up without me, I get up at 5am, shower and start cooking breakfast, then at 6am, my husband get the children up for bible time before school(he reads 2-3 chapters, then prayer) then we eat breakfast and I take my oldest to school.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I was 7 when I set my own alarm, made my own breakfast, and got on the bus while my mom was still sleeping. I never missed the bus and I was fine. It is dependent on your child though. My 8 yr old needs to be dragged out of bed every morning and she grumps the whole time I am trying to get her breakfast and such.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My oldest is 10 and shares a room with his 6 year old brother. They both need to be at school the same time, so I wake them both together. After wake-up, he works through his own morning. Remembering back to my own childhood, I think I was getting myself up for school by the time I was in middle school, but I'll have to ask my mom when she did that!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2011