I think I'm a hoarder...

I hoard baby stuff, diapers, food, baby food, clothing, toys just in cases I might need it someday. If I see a good deal I will buy as much as I can. Even my SO has comment on the hoarder tendencies. I feel like I need to if something bad happens, I'm also spooked by the 2012 thing thats making it so much worse. Our house isn't bad like the ones on tv SO would kill me lol. Under my DDs crib its packed full of boxes and bags of diapers an wipes, the hallway closet is full of detergent and tissues, kitchen has jars and jars of baby food, and formula ( I'm breastfeeding) but I had coupons. the freezer has a ton of frozen loafs of bread and milk. And like 30 cans of tuna and bags of beans. The girls have so much clothing some still have tags or they only wore in once. I buy a lot of blankets too for some reason I don't know why I do this stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Health

• I didn't realize I had a problem for years- I would buy jars and jars and jars of baby food, or more and more baby clothes. Once the girls were bigger, it turned into other things. Most recently, it's been house plants. Collections are different- I was buying them because they were on clearance, or because I thought the one I had bought before might die. I just kept getting more and more and more, even though I was running out of T, and the 'collection' was getting harder and harder to care for. At the end, I had over 230 plants. By that point, I was seeing a doctor for depression, and he also diagnosed me with OCD and anxiety disorder. Apparently, the hoarding was part of the OCD tendencies. I'm on medication now, and I have given away or thrown out 2/3 of my 'collection'. The medicine really did help a good bit.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:41 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Well the obvious response is to go to a counselor and seek help. You know it's not healthy, you know there's a problem. But are you ready to receive treatment and work a plan to get better and fix this? The first step is admitting there's a problem, the second is working on clearing and organizing your house and seeking therapy.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think you need to seek counseling for this. I'm not sure if you are a hoarder, a compulsive shopper or a little of both. Since you recognise that this is a problem you should seek help. Think of what you could do with the money you will save.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 3:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I hate to sound like a parrot, but you know there's a problem, now find a counselor and get some help BEFORE it becomes a serious problem in your life.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Its always good to be prepared, but when the clutter takes over your life THEN you have a problem. I can understand stocking up on diapers, wipes, detergent and things like that. Those are things you WILL use eventually. I personally CANNOT stand clutter so I dont ever buy anything extra. I always want to buy extra toilet paper and detergent etc but I cant justify buying it unless I need it right then lol I hate storing things in my house because it feels like clutter. I'm a neat freak! lol
    devonNjaedon

Answer by devonNjaedon at 3:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Everything in my house has a place because I can't stand the mess either. With two little kids the house has to be clean. Its just I know I don't need that much of one thing or another but when I'm at the store I think I do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• hmmm......
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2011