How do you celebrate a loved one's birthday after they have passed away to get drunk ?

my oldest daughter's best friend who was murder almost 3 years ago.. they decided to have golden year on her birthday if she is alive she will be 27th.. is it alright my daughter and her friends get drunk to celebrate ?????? please respond asap thank you !!!!

Sherry P.

Asked by Sherry P. at 6:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• It's their grief.. let them deal with it how they want to.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I've never understood getting drunk in reminder of someone who died until that person was an alcoholic but that's just me.  Celebrate however way you guys want to.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Is she going to be getting together with a group of friends to remember their friend, and having some drinks?? Or getting drunk all alone (which would not be healthy). If she's going to be out drinking make sure she has a safe ride home.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Celebrating life... it is their grief, their emotions- let them cope as needed.

When I pass, I sure as hell hope everyone has a few drinks, remembers everything that was good- and has a few for me! I don't want tears, I want everyone to remember the good times.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• honestly i would drink on my brother's birthday and party in memory of him, but he was a drinker. the only thing is i really can't because it's also my oldest daughters birthday. and i don't want her having a memory of mom drinking every year on her birthday.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 6:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree. Let them deal with it out how they feel they need to
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:03 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It been my experience that drinking alcohol only makes things worse. So when they do drink, they get drunk, then they eventually turn a slobbering drunk. I have been around drunks all my life. While I really am sorry for their loss, losing a loved isn't easy and nobody should have to face it alone, and to lose someone violently makes it even worse cause then the person is left with so many unanswered question, and that is what that person has to work on before accepting what happened.. But turning to alcohol isn't going to solve things. The person might forget temporarily, but the feeling of loss will still be there when the person sobers up.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• If your daughter is old enough to legally drink, then it isn't any of your business how she celebrates as she is an ADULT.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i celebrate with their favorite food. Every year on the anniversary of my dads death i have chinese food for dinner. i would say if they are going out knowing they are all going to get drunk make sure they have a driver that is sober, oh and everyone should be over 21. i dont really see much point in getting drunk though, back when i would still get drunk it would just make my feelings worse.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• If that is how they are coping ... leave them alone.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2011