How do i get my son to stop biting other children?

I've tried everything i can think of to get him to stop but it has gotten so bad that he is taking chunks out of other children

Kaye_2008

Asked by Kaye_2008 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put something in his mouth that tastes really nasty to him after he does it.Try a lemon,grapefruit,1/2 tsp salt or something along those lines.Let him understand that he will have to taste that everytime he bites someone.Make him apologize to other kids (if he's able)and sit him in time-out.Make disgusted face when you tell him how yucky and painful it is to bite and be bitten.
    Anonymous

• have you tried biting him back so he knows exactly how it feels to be bitten? It worked for my DD and ive seen this question on here before and lots of other women have said the same thing I have.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have 4 kids that have passed biting age I know this sounds harsh but I flicked them in mouth EVERY time....It worked they stopped after about 2 weeks...good luck
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have a 5 year old that is STILL biting! If you get a good answer to this question let me know :)
    SarahNEmilysMom

Answer by SarahNEmilysMom at 12:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I used to work at a preschool with toddlers. While this isn't discipline it is a way to break the biting habit, however I think your son might be a little young but feel free to try. Find a bib (preferably a thick terry cloth one) and that is his bite bib. He needs to wear it ALL DAY. Explain to him that when he feels like biting he needs to bite his bib. You need to pay close attention to his triggers for biting (someone taking a toy or needing attention). Explain to him how to use his words in these situations and different ways to handle it. When you see him biting his bib talk with him about why he feels he needs to bite. Start weaning him from the bib as he starts learning to use his words to explain how he is feeling! Even if it is as simple as telling someone to "stop" when he doesn't like what is happening. Kids enjoy the empowerment that comes along with others listening to their commands.
    trippleaaa

Answer by trippleaaa at 4:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2008