To all my fellow co-sleepers..... how do you move a 19 month old out of your bed?

i love sleeping with her when she is not all over the bed, kicking you or even kicking you in the face in the middle of the night. and not trying to crawl under you.

just we are having a little one at any time and i have been trying to move her out slowly and she is not taking it. for a while she would sleep on the couch for a little while now she refuses to sleep unless she is in the bed.

i've tried to put a mattress in the floor for her but she still refuses to sleep there. and i've even tried to put her in bed with her oldest sister and she don't work with that either.

i 'm out of ideas.. but i don't have room for me, hubby her and a new baby. and i don't have money for a new bed either.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 7:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I still think sleeping with her and moving will work. But its not going to overnight. When she gets up to come into your room just give her a hug and walk her back into her room. Stay till she falls asleep then go to your bed. Be consistent and eventually she'll stay in her room.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Just keep her in your bed. Don't co-sleep with the baby. If you put her out and then the baby right in she is going to feel like the baby took her spot and be jealous.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Not to sound mean but if you dont even have enough money for a bed for a child you already have then why are you having another child. If you lived in southern NYS I'd give you a bed, I have two toddler beds in storage that I dont want.

Sorry for being mean about that but what I did was put my child in her own bed and she went to sleep when she would wake up in the middle of the night I would let her fall asleep in our bed and then move her back into hers. Then one day she just stopped waking up. With my 2nd I just bought her a new bed and put up a baby gate in her doorway and she went right ot sleep.. Lots of luck and if you live in southern NYS pm me, I will give you either toddler bed or both for free you would just have to get it.. Lots of luck!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Can you sleep in her room with her and move into your own room when she falls asleep?
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• This is just one of the reasons why we never co-slept. I am not bashing you, I am just putting out my 2 cents.

It just gets your child in a habit that's very difficult to break. Admittedly we did all sleep downstairs together at our old place (separate beds, same room) because that's where the AC was and it wasn't that big of a deal since we still had to do feedings, etc. But once she started sleeping through the night we put her in her room and we went back to our room. My DH would just carry the AC up and down the stairs every morning/night.

It took about a week for her to get fully used to sleeping in her crib (her previous bed was her play pen) but now she can't fall asleep anywhere else. If we're in the room, she's up playing. I thank god we didn't co-sleep after hearing some of these Moms horror stories.

I don't know how the technique we used will work since your child is much older. But if you want, message me.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Try the baby gate in her doorway as a PP suggested and put a baby monitor in there (reversed so that she can hear you sleeping and you can whisper Night Night if you hear here crying). You and DH can always turn it off if you need some private time, and then take it out as soon as she adjusts.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i didn't say that i said i don't have money for a BIGGER BED!!!! also i have plenty of bed in my house if she would sleep on her own but she won't. and like i said we have even tried to see if she would sleep with her sisters but she won't. she will not sleep unless she is in our bed.

OH AND I REFUSE TO WASTE MONEY ON A TODDLER BED (been there done that they are a waste of money and my kids hate the mattress) and we just bought 2 sets of bunk bed this year.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 7:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• ok, sorry I offended you, but you did write "and i don't have money for a new bed either."
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Don't co sleep with the baby and let her stay in your bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• salemwitchchild- we have tried that. she will sleep fine for about 2 hours and them come to our room or comes to our room as soon as i hit the bed.

mompam- i'm not planning on co-sleeping with the baby, but i do breastfeed and normally set up to change the diaper and lay back down to nurse. and i have a queen size bed that by morning i'm holding on to one edge and hubby is holding on the the other with our 19 month old laying sideways in the bed.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2011