I am thinking about hosting a sleepover for my 2nd grader...

I have never really watched kids and don't really know any parents of kids her age. I don't know how to go about inviting people. I only know one mom who has two girls that are in my daughters school but they are in 3rd and 5th grades. I am nervous. I am afraid they won't let their kids come over. My daughter had to keep her room clean for two weeks and I said she could have a sleepover. Any suggestions?

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 8:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• All you can do is ask, whatever kids in her class she likes contact their parents and let them know about the sleepover, invite them to your house so they know their child will be in a safe environment
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Start with one friend of her age. Call or talk to the mom at school and ask if she can come for an overnight. Be prepared for them to not get to sleep on time...............for a lot of chatting and having fun. You might tell them they must stay in the beds, or sleeping bags, whatever, at bed time but be prepared for them to keep chatting.. I hope it works out
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Talk to the mom before telling her if you are having it. I would also look at who she hangs out with in school and try and catch one of their parents or get their number. Sleep overs are alot of fun, but with a first one and at a young age I never did more then 3 girls. You are in essence babysitting at 5-8 yrs old more then anything else, and having to plan everything for them. So 3 is more than enough.

Answer by gemgem at 8:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Hrmm. That's tricky.

I wouldn't let me child go over to another child's home (especially with the intent of a sleep over) without 1. Knowing the parents and 2. Been to their home at least once.

Perhaps it'd be better to maybe invite them to a zoo trip or something beforehand? I do think it'd be a bit premature to invite children over if you don't know their parents.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:10 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I know the one mom. She babysits my children after school on Thursdays while I am in class. I am poor and can't afford to take my own kids anywhere...let alone other kids. I will invite the two children from the mom I know and see what happens. I have been living here for 5 years...you would think I would have met somebody by now. Thank you for your reply :)
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 8:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would highly recommend inviting just one friend, or inviting three friends. At that age, many times one child ends up being left out if there's an odd number of girls.

Answer by missanc at 9:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My neice (age 8 ) had one...invited 4 girls...it was a disaster. Girls had attitude problems...there was fighting...crying ...laughing...then crying again. Living Hell I tell you.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 3:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• lol Wish2Be...maybe I should rethink this. I may just try one or two friends. (the friends are siblings).
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• You arrange with a dialogue over their mother so that you had the early permission and know the whereabouts of
    their children.
    Sew-sun

Answer by Sew-sun at 11:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011