My daughter is not a morning person at all. In the morning she will NOT get ready. Does anyone have any advice?

We have tried taking things away, writing sentences in the afternoon, letting her have her space and get ready on her own, let her make the choice of the order she gets ready. I'm at the end of what to do. PLEASE HELP!!!!

cat_lover

Asked by cat_lover at 8:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 8yo is the same way. Sometimes I bribe her. Coffee works for her (decaf if I have any) and also I have tried giving her a dollar if she is ready on time. Those both seem to work. "you can have coffee if you are at the table at XX time".
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have one of those - I started the night before with are you buying or packing lunch - take care of it.. is tomorrow PE - what are you going to wear - let's get it out now.. do you have your back pack packed - get it done.. made that part easier - The only decisions in the morning were what to have for breakfast.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 8:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Mine isnt a morning girl either. I just turn on the lights & TV in her room and say TIME TO GET UP!!! Her brother who is 17 is the same so once I am done in her room, I go to his and he gets up to. I turn up the radio and turn on every light. If that doesnt work I have a squirt gun. If that doesnt work I get her clothes, and sit her up and start changing her. Usually by that time she is awake. None of this is new for me. I have 5 kids and most of them went through this phase.

Answer by gemgem at 8:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• my 5 yr old didnt used to be either until i sat her down and had a talk with her, i told her that if she loves mommy then she has to listen because it makes me very sad when she doesnt wanna get up in the morning, and shes a big girl now and big girls get up as soon as mommy says its time for school, im not saying that will work because im sure it prob wont for most kids but thank god it worked for both of mine. GL!
    PrettyBaby24

Answer by PrettyBaby24 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• my 9 year old is the same way. it doesn't really bother me though. I make her some green tea in the morning (which the Dr. said was fine) and that helps. I also get the cat & stick him under her blanket, she gets all excited to snuggle with him in the morning & it kind of gets her up a bit more when his soft fur is tickling her under the sheets.

I often have to pick out her clothes & help dress her because she is still 1/2 asleep sometimes. It doesn't bother me though, one day she is not going to want me to help her get dressed at all. So, I'm enjoying these moments where i can mommy her to pieces.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have a frien who was a Nanny and the little boy was like that. Finally she just took him to school in his PJ's it also happend to be picture day :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• When my kids were that age, they were always scrambling at the last minute to get ready and were always running to catch the bus. I finally got tired of it and told them that the next day i was going to set the timer for when they needed to leave and was going to let them just do their own thing (no nagging, reminding, etc), but the catch was that if they missed the bus they had to walk to school (2.5 miles). Guess what - they missed it and we all walked the whole way to school (I had to walk back with baby in stroller!). I asked DD (then 8) what she was going to do differently the next day and she said with a straight face "Oh, I will do all the same stuff - only faster". She has never missed the bus since (she is now in college). DS and DD2 test me every so often on it. Now that they are older and school is too far to walk I charge them for every ride from their allowance. They haven't paid in a long time.
    DrRama

Answer by DrRama at 9:15 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We only had to do it once, but, we gave her the option -- "Fine, don't get dressed and be late for school, and see how you like it.'" needless to say, even if there is 5 mins left before we leave, she is ready! I have learned that THAT is what we need to do. (my DD is 7 yrs) Let her make the bad choices she is forcing herself into, to see what happens. We have a problem with her not doing her HW too. So i tell her "This is the last time I am telling you, do your homeowrk. If you don't do it, you can deal with your teacher in the morning." The hw gets done!
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Get her up 10 minutes earlier so she is not rushed in the morning. Get her to bed earlier in the evening if she might not be getting enough sleep. Pick out her clothes with her the night before. Also make lunch then. Make it more fun. DS (5) is NOT a morning person. But despite being semi-comatose he will still race you to the kitchen. He can be tickled out of bed when that doesn't work. Being punitive in the morning does not work at all for us. He is too fragile when not awake and will pretty much fall apart into a mess of tears and 'you yelled at me' so we don't do punitive. We aim for cooperative. We also have him tell us what time it is and when we need to leave. He will speed it up if we build in an extra 5 minutes right before we leave that he can play.
    DanaL1

Answer by DanaL1 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I bought a Disney Tinker Bell fairy friend and he likes it. I say oh come look what the fairy did this time - and sometimes the fairy tipped over a chair or turns the milk a different color. Simple things. It works for him. But I didn't do it to get him out of bed initially. I just thought a house fairy would be fun for leaving surprises from time to time and causing fun mischief. It just worked out as a bonus and we found out by accident it gets him motivated.  You can also try one of those canape hang up shoe holders and place dollar store items in each pocket.  When they wake up and get to the breakfast table they can have a surprise.  We used at one point scraps of cloth to wrap small items: tooth brushes, lip balm, hand lotion, a small toy car, a sock one day and the match on a different day.  Little useful items to encourage a little motivation to greet the day.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2011